Transmission and Axle advice needed!

leagleagle

I've got a 1985 CJ7 with the T5 transmission. Seems that I need new synchros as 4th isn't smooth shifting into and reverse is popping out.

Seems difficult to find anyone that works on manual transmissions these days though I know I can go that route, but I'm considering my options.

I'm trying to decide whether to put new synchros/rebuild the T5, or while I'm at it do an automatic transmission swap.

I'm looking for advice from those who have done either as well as a ballpark on what I can expect to pay for the automatic swap.

The transmission is behind a SBC 350. Axles are dana 30 front and AMC 20 rear which I also intend to either regear or swap out at some point. The stamp indicates 3.31 gearing and it definitely needs to be changed. I have the ability to pick up a Dana 44 front and Dana 60 rear with ARB lockers geared 4.56, but I'm not sure if that would be overkill.

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

For clarification. This was not an issue and now is? And, nothing was changed on the jeep in some time.

Check your linkages. And if you have a body lift, be sure you are not hitting or rubbing on the floor opening.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Last edited:
It was an issue with the prior owner, he just didn't do anything about it.

I have checked for any clearance issues with the shifter and there are none and the boot isn't causing any issue either. It seems to definitely be something internal in the transmission, I'm assuming synchros.

Back