76 cj5

bej76

I'm thinking about buying a 76 CJ5. What are some things to look out for on these models? Also, it does have the factory 304 V8. How can you tell if it is the Renegade model?

In my opinion the only thing to look for on an old CJ is rust. I don't mind engine work, etc - but having to repair / replace a frame before you can drive it isn't my idea of fun.

The 304 was as an option from 1970 until 1981 from what I understand. Look for a 304 embossed near the engine mounts.

Thanks for the help. Is there a way to tell if this Jeep is a Renegade? It has been repainted, no badging.

The VIN should tell you. I have had a couple renegades and is there a reason that you are so curious about it being a renegade? Their is really no dif between them, they didnt come with bigger or more powerful engines, better trans or stronger axles. The differences would be things like more interrior features, better gauges, carpet, types of tires from the factory, maybe heavier duty springs and stuff like that. The drivetrains are the same.

If you read about them the earlier Renegades were a true package. V8, lower gears wider wheels. over the years it got watered down. Pretty much '76 up it was pretty much a sticker kit with maybe a tach and clock. I love the wide steelies on the first renegades. The earlier renegades (all jeeps) had more HP than the newer ones. I've got a '79, I think it's just like 130HP. That's the 304 .

Thanks again everyone ! I bought the Jeep and absolutely love it. It has the factory 304, but the previous owner changed upper intake with an Edelbrock and put a four barrel carb on it. It is a beast and has massive torque. It has headers and side pipes.

Back