Installing a Steering Stabilizer

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Keep it between the ditches - install a Steering Stabilizer

explorer-4.jpg

Why:
I have always vibration problems with my Jeep, and my steering seemed sloppy, so after much procrastination, I decided to do something about it. After much shopping, I ended up ordering the Procomp ES2000 steering stabilizer from Carparts.com.

What exactly is a Steering Stabilizer?:
The concept of a steering stabilizer (or dampener) is pretty simple, it's just a shock absorber for your steering system. One end is mounted to a fixed point (like the axle)
and the other end is connected to your tie rod. When you drive, the wheels will move left and right, and if your ride's like mine, they'll vibrate too. The steering stabilizer simple absorbs some of the shock, and gives your steering a move tight feel.​

The install:
This is a pretty simple upgrade, simply unbolt and remove the existing steering stabilizer, then install the new one using the included hardware. The new stabilizer didn't mount the same way as the old one, one end linked the the axle, and the other to the tie rod (the original mounted to the tie rod on one end, and to a special mount point on the other).​

The verdict:
I am pretty pleased with the overall outcome. My steering seems more sure and my Jeep has a little less wander to it. Although this has not "cured" my vibration and wandering problems (a few things are left to do, such as wheel bearings) it has definitely improved the ride. One thing I did not like about the Procomp stabilizer is that there is no boot included, no big deal, but it's just one more thing you have to buy.

Price: 52.67

Last edited:

Installing a Steering Stabilizer - Install Photos

Install Photos

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 2,534
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 14,876
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 2,904
You can also replace you sway bar links and sway bar bushings for a lot better ride........if they are wore out of course!

You can grab the sway bar links with your hand and if they twist easily.....they need to be replaced.

On your sway bar bushings, you can just look to see if the rubber has started falling apart.

Both are easy installs....take about an hour.

luckily I got here. I'm having problem doing this stuff, it always loosen maybe there is something wrong with my grip thats why I ask for my uncle's help.

i have an old jeep
and i had the same slop problen.
i replaced the pitman arm/bellcrank/tie rods/drag link.
it drives like new.
but i will install a stabilizer so that when wheeling i wont break a thumb when hitting a rock.

I have an xj and my stabilizer is pressed into my draglink and it has stumped me two weekends in a row picklefork and gear puller both broke or distorted and the thing hasn't bugged any help?

urbanjeeper said:
I have an xj and my stabilizer is pressed into my draglink and it has stumped me two weekends in a row picklefork and gear puller both broke or distorted and the thing hasn't bugged any help?

Little bit if heat. The strike it on the side with a large hammer a few times then drive it out. If I can recall though on the xjs mine and the wife's you can take the nut off the other side and slip the damper off leaving the bolt in the drag link. But ya a Bfh and a bit off heat will come out.

Back