Axle Spring Saddles - bulletproof with award winning looks

LBR

After being unable to locate the proper size axle spring saddles for the AMC 20 with a 2.5" diameter axle tube, I built my own with 12" of 2.5"x1/4" square stock and 12" of 2.5"x3/16" flat stock. As per the pictures, cut 2 pieces of the square stock approximately 5" long and 4 pieces of the flat stock 2 1/4" long. Find a 2 1/2" diameter template, such as a can, and trace half circles for the axle tube, then cut out. I used a torch, then followed up with a pneumatic die grinder to smooth and precision fit to the axle tubes. Weld the pieces of flat stock on all 4 sides of all 4 ends to box the saddle, then smooth out welds with a grinder for a finished look and drill the leaf spring centering bolt holes. After completed, weld the saddles onto the rear axle tubes as you would any purchased saddles for the proper pinion angle, however your own approved method would be, and then paint. A couple of worthy notes are:
*you can leave off the end plates for a quicker build and it will not compromise the structural integrity any due to the hefty .25" thickness of the stock used
*you can cut the hole for any size of axle tube diameter

Your new axle saddles are now the :bomb:s that others will measure theirs by!

100_1063.jpg

100_1064.jpg

100_1065.jpg

100_1093.jpg

100_1094.jpg

LBR

Last edited by a moderator:

We began selling to the public in January '06, just when you started looking, we have had these from the start but ours could never look as nice as your purple ones:purple:

Back