Lift your TJ - installing a Rubicon Express 2" coil spacer kit

I just followed your instructions step by step and they were perfect! The only problem I had was removing the rear shocks. I had to abandon the project and leave the stock ones on for now. Other than that, it wasn't that bad.

Before and after lift photos

Here are some shots from before and after the 2" lift. You have to look hard to see a difference, but there is a 2" change there.

Attachments

• before_lift_wrangler_budget_boost.jpg
    before_lift_wrangler_budget_boost.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 22,831
  • after_lift_wrangler_budget_boost.jpg
    after_lift_wrangler_budget_boost.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 28,653
Thanks for the instructions. They came in very handy. I installed a Teraflex 2" budget boost. Only took a day (although the crappy instructions say 1 to 3 hours). Didn't have to change the shock absorbers as I just lifted it 2". Rides great. Appreciate the time you took to do this.

These instructions are perfect. Just curious, did you have any problems with your breaking the shock bolts? I've lifted two XJ's and had to drill out my old bolts and re-tap them. The XJ's were 1988 and 1998 which I know probably had a lot to do with that issue.

My Wrangler was only 3 years old when I did this, so the shock bolts weren't that bad, but when I did my CJ I had to hit the bolts with penetrating oil for about two days before starting. Another option is to heat up the bolts with a torch - just be careful as it would be easy to destroy bushings / shocks.

Does your Jeep have an Auto trans or Manual, and did you experience any vibration from the lift? I have a similar kit and have been debating on whether to install it or not.

My Jeep has an auto transmission, and I did not have any vibrations. The kit is easy enough to install that if you have problems afterwards, you could just uninstall it.

i just put a rough country 4 in lift on my TJ and it is similar steps. Just wanted to make a few points.
-use penetrating oil very generously on all bolts before you start or you will prob break at least one, espicically if you jeep is more than 6 or 7 years old.
-watch the brake lines and axle vent tubes when you drop the axle down
-have a breaker bar, bandaids and a bible near by. you'll need them!

im not trying to talk anybody out of it. you learn a lot about your jeep when you work on it your self. it took me probably about 12 hours to do by my self. i enjoyed it.
p.s. i need some tires!

Attachments

• lifted yellow jeep.jpg
    lifted yellow jeep.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 26,909

The hieght will only affect the toe, caster and camber will remain the same as evident in the print out. Good job. Thats what I will be doing as soon as I free up some cash. Have you decided on tires? 31's or 33"?

My Jeep is a daily driver too, so I can't do anything that would impact driving quality or reliability. It seems that the spacer lift is a "safe" lift for that situation, meaning that it seems there is actually very little about the Jeep that changes. Is 2" as high as you can go with a spacer lift? Just wondering if 3" was available. I read a post by a guy somewhere who had 4" and said it got a little "squirly" on the highway at high speeds. I'm thinking 3" with 31's-33's sounds like the most for a "highway" Jeep.

How do you know if the springs are worn out? I have an 02 wrangler. Would like to do the same type of lift but want to make sure the springs are not shot.

I am interested in this "kit"
Terry states the parts that came with the package, and shows a picture. The written list is this:
4 coil spacers
2 longer bumpstops and bolts to go in them
4 new shocks
some of the least helpful instructions I've ever read

My question is this:
Does the set come with the inner, rubber part of the bump stop? Or just an extension? Did you just not include them in the pic?
I have looked at the package at a few different places online, and no dealer shows it coming with the inner, rubber part as part of the deal.

The reason I am asking is a couple of days ago, I noticed the rubber part was completely fallen out of the metal housing on my DD. It rotted away. So, no more little plastic end caps at the bottom OR the rubber /plastic/whatever the material is, inside the metal housing.
I have been putting off lifting the jeep but have always wanted to ;)
Now I have an excuse to do it. Its cheap, Ill be in there anyway changing out that part, so why not? Seems simple enough for a weekend gig.
I have looked AT LENGTH online and found virtually nowhere that sells JUST the rubber inner and the plastic cap.
If this kit contains it, consider it bought and installed.
If it does not contain it, can anyone please help me find what I need to complete this project. As I stated, it is my DD, so I cant be in the middle and say Well I guess I have to have a xxxxx shipped to me.

Its very late so Im sorry if Im not totally clear. If anyone even THINKS they can help me but needs more info, by all means, post or whatever and I will keep an eye here.
Thank you,
Shawn O.
2000 Sahara
No mods
Daily driver

Last edited:
Wish i had seen your article earlier....mine went three days off and on with help from a couple friends...all for that third inch.....could have done without that extra inch and saved myself a whole bucketload of grief.... Great article though thanx.. Dan

My question is this:
Does the set come with the inner, rubber part of the bump stop? Or just an extension? Did you just not include them in the pic?

Not included. I photographed everything that came with the kit. Sorry man.

Directions that came w/ my 2" Skyjacker poly lift kit "were crap" they give you black & white pics to help you too...lol! On my instructions which differ from the guy that originally posted the pics on how to do this, say that you should "take off" the top bump stop & discard but you "do" re-use the lower bump stop (cone shaped rubber thing) ---so you will prob have to go to your local jeep dealership parts dept, junk yard, or try like 4wd.com to buy them! By-the-way, it was very inexpensive to get 4 Skyjacker hydro shocks & the the 2" poly lift kit. Plus, right now there is a $35 rebate on the shocks -call the guys at 4wd.com! Once you get going & have the right tools (which is key) also proper floor jack & jack stands (big on both)! Hope this helps.....

I am interested in this "kit"
Terry states the parts that came with the package, and shows a picture. The written list is this:
4 coil spacers
2 longer bumpstops and bolts to go in them
4 new shocks
some of the least helpful instructions I've ever read

My question is this:
I have looked at the package at a few different places online, and no dealer shows it coming with the inner, rubber part as part of the deal.

The reason I am asking is a couple of days ago, I noticed the rubber part was completely fallen out of the metal housing on my DD. It rotted away. So, no more little plastic end caps at the bottom OR the rubber /plastic/whatever the material is, inside the metal housing.
I have been putting off lifting the jeep but have always wanted to ;)
Now I have an excuse to do it. Its cheap, Ill be in there anyway changing out that part, so why not? Seems simple enough for a weekend gig.
I have looked AT LENGTH online and found virtually nowhere that sells JUST the rubber inner and the plastic cap.
If this kit contains it, consider it bought and installed.
If it does not contain it, can anyone please help me find what I need to complete this project. As I stated, it is my DD, so I cant be in the middle and say Well I guess I have to have a xxxxx shipped to me.

Its very late so Im sorry if Im not totally clear. If anyone even THINKS they can help me but needs more info, by all means, post or whatever and I will keep an eye here.
Thank you,
Shawn O.
2000 Sahara
No mods
Daily driver

Actually, sorry, I wrote a part wrong!! You do need to have both the lower & upper bump stops (not inc w/ kit) so you "will" need to get both somewhere!! *What I wanted you to note was that on "his pics" here he has left the original upper pump stop on & hooked the spacer up after. It is supposed to be 1. "new spacer" then the 2. old rubber spacer that was originally on the Jeep 3. then coil spring. Wow, hope you got all that..lol...good luck!

Directions that came w/ my 2" Skyjacker poly lift kit "were crap" they give you black & white pics to help you too...lol! On my instructions which differ from the guy that originally posted the pics on how to do this, say that you should "take off" the top bump stop & discard but you "do" re-use the lower bump stop (cone shaped rubber thing) ---so you will prob have to go to your local jeep dealership parts dept, junk yard, or try like 4wd.com to buy them! By-the-way, it was very inexpensive to get 4 Skyjacker hydro shocks & the the 2" poly lift kit. Plus, right now there is a $35 rebate on the shocks -call the guys at 4wd.com! Once you get going & have the right tools (which is key) also proper floor jack & jack stands (big on both)! Hope this helps.....

Back