Wrangler death wobble - What causes it and how to fix it

Thanks for all the replies. I installed a new trackbar and at first thought I was ok. Usually any rough road I hit a speeds over 25 caused the wobble. I got on the Highway and all was well until I hit a small bump Doing about 55. Back to the drawing board lol. I don't know what I would do without this forum.

Did you complete a dry steer test? What did you see?

Have you put in the largest bolt into the track bar?

Also check u joints in the axel and driveshaft.

Did you complete a dry steer test? What did you see?

This is totally the way to go. I replaced a bunch of parts on mine before I just put a camera under it and shot a video of me turning the wheel back and forth. It was super easy to see a moving track bar bolt, and on another occasion a worn trackbar bushing. You really should do this before anything else. It would be really easy if you had someone to turn the wheel while you lay under the Jeep.

Fighting DW in my 2003 TJ, 4" lift, had 33's, just put 35's on 10" wide wheels, everything is tight, new front brake pads & calipers, new axle joints & u joints, new double steering stabilizer. Tires balance out great. Alignment is good... any other suggestions?

I just replaced the Tie Rod Ends and the associated components. Got the parts online and saved a bunch. Got an ailment and a good grease job and so Far so good. So Trackbar and TieRod. One of my wheel bearings has some play and one steering stabilizer is showing wear but I will get those fixed hopefully before the first Snowfall

Fighting DW in my 2003 TJ, 4" lift, had 33's, just put 35's on 10" wide wheels, everything is tight, new front brake pads & calipers, new axle joints & u joints, new double steering stabilizer. Tires balance out great. Alignment is good... any other suggestions?

Do a dry steer test to see what is loose,. It could be TRE, ball joints, bearings, or control arm bushings. Verify everything is tightened to spec.

When you say alignment what are the numbers? This is common cause and critical.

Steering stabilizers do not fix or correct DW

I don't know what you mean about the alignment numbers. After replacing my Trackbar, and Tie Rods I took my Jeep to a Shop for an alignment and everything is good now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do a dry steer test to see what is loose,. It could be TRE, ball joints, bearings, or control arm bushings. Verify everything is tightened to spec.

When you say alignment what are the numbers? This is common cause and critical.

Steering stabilizers do not fix or correct DW

Have done that with the Jeep on a lift, nothing is loose, am going to do the ZJ steering rid upgrade thia week and see if that fixes it

Have done that with the Jeep on a lift, nothing is loose, am going to do the ZJ steering rid upgrade thia week and see if that fixes it

Doing it with the Jeep on a lift likely won't help find the problem. When it's on the ground and you move the steering wheel back and forth, you may be able to see bolt move, etc. Up on a lift, with no weight on the suspension it will most likely look fine.

I have the same problem you have and I have a bone stock 07 JK .. I have replaced EVERYTHING that has been suggested and I'm now out of ideas ..

I've got an '07 also with DW. Once I hit 50 mph, it begins! Added new dual steering stabilizer kit as the the stock one was toast! Mind you, it has 131,000 miles and is bone stock. Ordered poly track bar bushings from Energy Suspension, but shop said they don't fit. Energy Suspension swears they're correct. SMH! Not sure what's going on.....back to the shop it goes.

Do a dry steer test to find all the worn parts. the common cause is the track but it can start elsewhere and could take out other components.
After all parts are replaced do an alignment. Also when replacing the track bar be sure the frame side bolt fits tight. On Tj's they are loose fitting and a simple bolt change does wonders.

Getting the Death wobbke on my 2000 with 4 inch lift. Front and rear track bar bushings replaced with Energy bushings. Steering stabalizer shock seals blown. Rancho on order from Jegs. Not happy with them should have went to Summit. Took to NTB and asked them to check it over before

Check it out before I come back for an alignment. Guy was super cool and look especially Jeeps. Showed me with a pair of channel locks that the tie rod that connects to to the pitman arm seemed good moving around with hand but could move it vertically a half inch. Replaced that yesterday and still waiting for Jegs delivery 4 days later with my "upgraded" shipping from vendor

Replaced that yesterday and still waiting for Jegs delivery 4 days later with my "upgraded" shipping from vendor

Check out rockauto.com - they have great shipping and cheap prices. I usually end up ordering from either amazon or rockauto for my parts.

Thank you. I'll check them out now. Wasn't happy about the free shipping only to find a $10 "handling" fee at the end. I called them today about it and they said they were going to refund that. They charge that fee on any order under $95 even if they just pass the order to suppliers. I told them it said nothing anywhere about being out of stock. They're sorry for my inconvenience! I will say at least they tried to make it right. The tracking # said item can not be found but she assured me it would be here tomorrow.

My Death Wobble fix.
Energy front/rear track bar bushings $25
Tie rod to pitman arm $19
Rancho RS9000 steering stabalizer shock $52
Put a 100 miles on today not one wobble.
Now I need to take it for an alignment.

Re: Death Wobble cause 4 - Track bar

Trackbar - Check to see if your axle is out of center (if the axle sticks out farther on the driver side than the passenger). This is caused by a trackbar that is too short. Also check that your trackbar is tight, and the mount holes have not "wobbled out". Verify that your track bar bushings are good, and don't have any slop in them.

If you have lifted your Jeep but have not installed a longer trackbar, you'll normally find that the trackbar is doing two things pulling the axle over to the driver's side, and pulling the front of the Jeep down.

View attachment 5039

Inspecting the Trackbar:

One way to test for wear in the trackbar bushing / bolt is to have someone start the Jeep, engage the parking brake and put it in neutral (park for an auto).

Lay down in front of the Jeep. Focus on the bolt that goes through the bushing where the track bar mounts in the bracket there on the passenger side.

Now have your driver rock the wheel back and forth. Not a lot, just like: 2 - 10 - 2 - 10 - 2 - 10

As you watch that bolt, does it move at all? Does the front of it stay in place, but the back moves? Does the bushing give noticeably before "catching" and then shifting the Jeep? If any of that is happening, then the BACK side of the bolt hole is likely no longer circular or the bushing is just plain worn out. This happens often on TJs and XJs. Tragic flaw. Once that happens, the trackbar no longer has a good stiff mount and even that little amount of give is enough to translate upstream and cause death wobble.

View attachment 9175

You should also look at the other end (the frame side) of the trackbar for similar movement.

More info on a Wrangler trackbar install here: http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/29198-jeep-track-bar-install.html

Assuming that the Track bar mounting hole is wobbled out a little...What size bolt should I replace it with? Jeep is stock and has not been lifted.

BTW your info has been amazingly useful!

Rus

Assuming that the Track bar mounting hole is wobbled out a little...What size bolt should I replace it with? Jeep is stock and has not been lifted.

BTW your info has been amazingly useful!

Rus

You'll want to run the largest bolt you can fit in the hole. I think you'll find that the trackbar itself will limit the size bolt you can put in it, as it's got a hardened steel sleeve inside it that resisted every effort I made to drill it out. You'll end up with the frame side bracket that has a wobbled out hole, and the trackbar sleeve that is smaller. In this case alot of people will weld a washer to the bracket, essentially bringing the hole back to good.

I ended up getting a new trackbar that takes a larger bolt, then I drilled the wobbled out hole out and used a larger bolt.

Trackbar - Check to see if your axle is out of center (if the axle sticks out farther on the driver side than the passenger). This is caused by a trackbar that is too short. Also check that your trackbar is tight, and the mount holes have not "wobbled out". Verify that your track bar bushings are good, and don't have any slop in them.

If you have lifted your Jeep but have not installed a longer trackbar, you'll normally find that the trackbar is doing two things pulling the axle over to the driver's side, and pulling the front of the Jeep down.

View attachment 5039

Inspecting the Trackbar:

One way to test for wear in the trackbar bushing / bolt is to have someone start the Jeep, engage the parking brake and put it in neutral (park for an auto).

Lay down in front of the Jeep. Focus on the bolt that goes through the bushing where the track bar mounts in the bracket there on the passenger side.

Now have your driver rock the wheel back and forth. Not a lot, just like: 2 - 10 - 2 - 10 - 2 - 10

As you watch that bolt, does it move at all? Does the front of it stay in place, but the back moves? Does the bushing give noticeably before "catching" and then shifting the Jeep? If any of that is happening, then the BACK side of the bolt hole is likely no longer circular or the bushing is just plain worn out. This happens often on TJs and XJs. Tragic flaw. Once that happens, the trackbar no longer has a good stiff mount and even that little amount of give is enough to translate upstream and cause death wobble.

View attachment 9175

You should also look at the other end (the frame side) of the trackbar for similar movement.

More info on a Wrangler trackbar install here: http://www.jeepz.com/forum/suspension/29198-jeep-track-bar-install.html
Sir, Thank you for posting these videos. Seeing it makes it more understandable

Sir, Thank you for posting these videos. Seeing it makes it more understandable

No problem. I feel the same way. I spent alot of time guessing before the guys here convinced me to just do a dry steering test.

Back