1991 Grand Cherokee Engine Overheating

clarktodd

My son owns a 1991 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 with 4.0 engine and 81,000 miles. It is very clean and has always been well maintained and always in the family. This is why I may be willing to pay more than it may be worth.
While driving home the water pump seized and it over heated. We replaced the water pump and thermostat. It is still overheating and there are metal shavings in the oil. I assume that the head is warped and has caused internal damage. I am trying to discern whether to install a re-manufactured engine or have the existing one rebuilt. Using the VIN shows that an original long block is not available. I have heard some reports that the re-man long block (from NAPA) does not come with OEM parts and there have been some failures. I found a local shop that builds race engines and rebuilds engines using OEM parts (depending on the condition of the core which may need to be replaced). The re-man from the dealership comes with a better warranty but the rebuild has a minimal warranty. Which would the best way for me to go?

Last edited:
Back