01 Chevrolet LS1...85 XJ mating

vfrf2

I recently acquired a 01 LS1 350 with 4000 miles on it. It was orginally purchased for a 73 Z28 project I'm working on, but thought that it would be more fun to have it in my 85 XJ to replace a severely under powered 2.8. My issue is how to handle the emissions. I'd be perfectly happy to run it with little or no emissions equipment, but due to fed and local laws, I'd probably have a problem getting it through an emissions inspection here in VA.
How do some of you handle getting by with legal emissions inspections in your areas, when making a V 8 swap?

Thanks!

Viffer...

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 22, 2003 - 08:17 AM[addsig]

Seems to me that you are about to tackle a major project. Mating the engine to the transmission and mounting the engine, setting up the fuel injection and exhaust, not to mention clearances for the steering column and everything else under the hood, and cooling. Maybe I'm missing something, but an "85xj doesn't seem to be the ideal platform for this type of conversion. And, you'll still end up with an xj worth $1500. [addsig]

Remember,

Well, it still might be a $1500 XJ...but, it would be a torquey $1500 XJ...A quote comes to mind from someone who when asked why he wanted to climb Mt. Everest...
"Because it was there" :) I wouldn't be looking to climb Mt. Everest with it...but, I'd want it to climb.

Viffer...

edited by: vfrf2, Feb 22, 2003 - 04:30 PM[addsig]

personally id throw it in the camaro, then sell it. then buy a nice I-6 for the cherokee. id be easier and a lot better on the XJ.[addsig]

Put it in the camaro or buy a CJ or YJ to put it in ;-) [addsig]

yeah, i'd sell that v8, and buy a 4.0 HO inline-6 jeep motor... much easier swap...[addsig]

I'm not going for fast...I'm going for torque. Bottom end on this project is the key for me, I don't see to many people flying around on rocky trails at 150 mph. :) My friend who owns the machine shop has stuffed Cadiliac front wheel drive based v8s into 7 Pontiac Fieros...made a sand rail based around a 69 Boss 302 motor...etc, etc.
It's been a a year or 2 since he helped tackle a project like this one...his wife told me that she'll be glad to see him get into something instead of hanging around the house collecting dust and watching ESPN all d*mn weekend...

I'm sure she'll be b*tching at us because he's not around taking the trash out ect., in a few weeks time! Once the geometrics are figured out...it should be a cake walk. Nothing like a little trial and error, and case of Fosters to get creative...:)

Viffer...

(edit) haha... you did a good job posting this thing like 8 times in a row... what happened? you fall asleep on the "submit" button? :) lol (/edit)

edited by: dingus, Feb 23, 2003 - 02:21 PM[addsig]

OK, Ok...I'm beaten down!!! :) The LS1 is going to go in the Camaro...and I think to myself...why did I buy it in the first place, I'm a Ford guy. :)

Ok, being realistic here, I just found and purchased a 37,000 mile 94 Camaro 3.4. Going to throw it on in, no fuel injection...just a bare bones conventioinal carb intake, etc for this motor...realistically trying to make a decent upgrade without killing the XJ too much...let alone using a max amount of the F word on a normal basis if I did a 350 install. :) Cutting, welding...dang too much of a hassle!
In a nutshell I'm trying to avoid another cardiac arrest...had one in 99, don't need any stress in my life trying to throw a 350 into a tight XJ engine bay to bring on another one...after all...this is supposed to be fun right?
Frigging peer pressure wins out this time!!! :)

On another note...Dingus, wanna make a public apology about giving you a hard time on the comments regarding the web space, spamming crap...it's all good. :)

Allen
[addsig]

Back