1973 cj5 transfer case leaking like a sift

Jared

My 73 cj5 is pouring gear oil out of the T-case as fast as I can put it in. Looks like it coming from front seal on the output shaft. I wonder if I need to pull t-case or is it possible to change seal, and probably bearing too, with it still n Jeep. I also was wondering exactly what t-case I've got. Its a three speed with a 258 six cylinder

If it still has the factory trans and case, it would be a dana 20tcase. The trany could be a t14 or a t15 three spd, both were offered in 73. The t14 from 70-75 and the much stronger t15 from 67-75.
Im pretty sure you can change the seal and bearing with the tcase still in the jeep.

How do I tell the t14 from t15. Its the factory transmission . I've gotta transmission and t-case out of a late 70's early 80's cj5 also. It was behind a 302 in my other Jeep. I wonder how hard it will be to use the extra t-case off my spare four speed.

The two are almost identical visually, The t15 is 10" long, has a top cover with 8 bolts, the front bearing retainer of the t15 has 4 bolts where as the t14 has 3. casting numbers on the passenger side of the trany should be one of these, t15 or 1307 or 13-07-065-901. The t14 is 8 3/4" long. Thats about all I can tell you about the two. As for your other tcase, you say its a late 70,s early 80,s case. you need to identify what tcase it is, the late 70,s used the dana20 tcase and the early 80,s used the dana300 tcase and the two do not interchange. If you have the 300 and want to use it with the three spd you will need to get an adapter. You could swap both the trany and case into your jeep but you may need dif length driveshafts.

Last edited:

Ok. I've just about got my old seal out of my t-case, I'm going to have to go buy a big socket set in order to pull that yoke. Biggest I've got is a 1- 1/16" and its a little too small. Is it metric you think? I'm going to go ahead and call oriellys and see if they have the seal. Thanks for all the info buddy.

Got seal changed. Not much to it after all. My transmission is a t14. Next project is drop steering arm. Right now its a fabricated job on it but I have an actual drop replacement on my other cj5. Its flooding here in southeast Texas right now and I live in the woods so looks like these 38 swampers will get to do some eating in a lil bit

Back