2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4 door wont shut off?

nodakskip

I just had a fun thing happen in my garage. At 2am with -3 degrees out.

I have a 2001 jeep cherokee limited 4 door. Its in my no heated apartment garage. Sometimes its not started because of the cold, and then when its warmer it will. I have gone out twice today and had no trouble and its been around 5 above all day. It's been parked in my garage the rest of the time. I went to get a money order from a store around 9pm and no trouble. I wanted to go to the 24 hour walmart a few miles away...

I got in my jeep and turned the key but it went to easy. My radio and the dash lit up as if I just turned it over but not started it. I tried to start it and the key went easily back and forward with no trouble or catching. It wouldn't start all the way or turn off the radio and other stuff. I could take the key out which you can't do when it's turned in the on features. I looked on my phone and people said there is a 30 minute timer that shuts off everything (radio heat ect...) after 30 minutes. Well I could not wait in the cold so I went in and grabbed some tools and did the only thing I knew how to do. I un bolted the negative terminal from my jeeps battery and it all shut off. (no sparking or anything)

I left the negative off the battery and will work on it when its light out. Tthe one light bulb in the garage is burned out and right over the jeep so I couldn't get to it to change it.

Is this because of the cold? Do I suddenly need a new switch for the key or an alternator?

Update. After about two hours I went out with the spare key. (in case it was a bad key) I plugged the battery back on and the electronics came right back on. They key light in the dash turned on. I tried the newer key and still moved around but did nothing. I tried the old key and it didnt turn anything off. I had to disconnect the battery again. Also the steering wheel was hard to turn during this.

Help

Last edited:
Back