2002 Liberty Dash Gauges out

RoadTrip-

Ok, any help/suggestions would be appreciated! My daughter has a 2002 Liberty and I just installed a new Kenwood stereo system in it along with the steering wheel control adapter from Crutchfield. I did not cut any of the existing harness, used adapters. She was driving her Jeep yesterday and all of the dash gauges have stopped working. She drove it a little more and they came back on. Worked the rest of the day and then out again today. I looked under the dash and in the fuse box for a loose/blown fuse or wires that were worn or loose but nothing. When the tach, fuel, temp, and speedo stop working the gas, oil, air bag, low fuel lights come on and it displays "No Bus". I really doubt the stereo install is related but ya never know. I have read all over and I've seen everything from it could be a loose connection at the back of the dash cluster to an ignition switch to the ECM. Anyone else have this problem or know of it and can help? <- sorry for the long post.

Ok, any help/suggestions would be appreciated! My daughter has a 2002 Liberty and I just installed a new Kenwood stereo system in it along with the steering wheel control adapter from Crutchfield. I did not cut any of the existing harness, used adapters. She was driving her Jeep yesterday and all of the dash gauges have stopped working. She drove it a little more and they came back on. Worked the rest of the day and then out again today. I looked under the dash and in the fuse box for a loose/blown fuse or wires that were worn or loose but nothing. When the tach, fuel, temp, and speedo stop working the gas, oil, air bag, low fuel lights come on and it displays "No Bus". I really doubt the stereo install is related but ya never know. I have read all over and I've seen everything from it could be a loose connection at the back of the dash cluster to an ignition switch to the ECM. Anyone else have this problem or know of it and can help? <- sorry for the long post.

If your engine is running fine when this happens it is the connector to the back of the cluster. Disassemble, clean and apply dielectric grease prior to reassembling.

Ok, that is what I am going to try tomorrow. Thank you! It is weird because the gauges don't work but the indicator lights light up (low fuel, oil, air bag, engine, etc). I will let you know. Thanks again!

** UPDATE
I cleaned the connections on the back of the dash cluster and the terminals on the fuse. I noticed the wire I tapped into for the steering will controls (yellow/violet) is the also one that goes into the back of the dash. I called Crutchfield to make sure there were no known issues. None known, they said it sounded like a wire grounding out and worse case it was the ASWC-1 module for adapting the steering wheel controls to the new stereo. So I checked all of the wiring, added dielectric grease to the terminals, taped off the unused wires (in case they were touching a ground and causing something screwy) and left the battery disconnected to reset everything. All seems to be good so far. If it acts up again I'll probably replace the ASWC-1 module next, seeing as that is really the only thing I have changed since the problem started. Hopefully it's all good and will behave now.

Thanks again for the advice!

Back