2004 WJ engine start/run issues

gbe

Apologies if this has been asked and answered, but:

My 2004 WJ (55000mi) has been acting up lately. 95% of the time, it runs just fine, but the other 5% is maddening.

-Over the past several weeks, the engine would misfire once (maybe twice if driving a long way) per day.
-Also during this time, if the engine was shut off manually, it would not like being restarted soon thereafter. Sometimes it'd take 2-3 attempts to get it started.
-Last week at a stoplight, the engine completely shut down - I was able to restart it immediately. It then stayed running without issue for the remainder of the 30-40min trip home.
-Didn't have a single hiccup during either leg of a 5-hour trip.
-Tuesday, 5 minutes after leaving home, the engine began misfiring badly on the interstate. Probably misfired 10-15 times before shutting down altogether. Did not restart immediately, but finally restarted after 2-3 minutes. Engine shut down once on remaining trip, but restarted immediately. Check engine light came on with code p0340.
-Took it to shop, camshaft position sensor was replaced, drove home without issue.
-Yesterday, the engine misfired three times on the way to work (once shortly after getting on the interstate, twice more in succession a couple of minutes later). No more problems the rest of the day, or when driving home.
-This morning it started fine, but shut off after I hopped out to move the garbage can in. Would not restart immediately. Checked codes, and it showed p1489 and p1490 (High Speed/Low Speed Fan CTRL Relay Circuit). Started a few minutes later and ran without issue for several minutes while I transferred kid and kid seat into the other car.

Called shop to confirm suspicion that the faults reported shouldn't cause the engine to cut off. Could the PCM be bad/getting bad?

Any thoughts? Thanks again

Sounds like a possible fuel issue. Check fuel pressure. Does the engine crank but not start after it dies?

Cranks fine, doesn't always fire up. Shop checked fuel pressure and said it was alright.

On another note, yesterday it drove perfectly fine - no issues. Today I got in and it made it about 350 feet before dying. Started back up briefly but then died again and won't restart. Giving code P0340 again. Tow truck to the shop coming in the morning.

Hey I am havin tw same issues with my wj as you were in a post I saw. It's from January of This year u said you were getting codes 1490 and 1489. My jeep also has those and is stalling and having the same symptoms as yours. I replaced the fuel pump because my mechanic said it was bad. Didn't fix the issue. Can you tell me what u found out and how u fixed it? Please email me at bdrullman @ gmail. com
No spaces i had to write it like that because it won't let me post by enail
Thnaks

Nor7cal7-

The 1489 and 1490 ended up being false codes. A day or two later, the thing died and wouldn't start back up at all. Got it towed to the shop. In addition to the previously replaced camshaft position sensor, we wound up replacing the crank position sensor and now it runs like a champ again.

Hope that helps - it was a maddening experience...

Back