74 CJ5 Lower Steering Column

redman

I am purchasing a 1974 CJ5 this weekend. It has a non tilt steering column. Is it possible to LOWER the column angle, bringing the wheel down. I know this is unusual as most people need more room, but I am short and skinny so i would actually like it to be a little lower and more snug.

Thanks for your help,
CJ Newbie

Welcome to Jeepz.com:welcome:

unfortunately , you cannot change the angle that the steering box is mounted that determines the position of the steering column without extensive modification of box to chassis , modification to steering linkage , etc. . I don't think your planning on this kind of work , it's quite a lot to even consider. But with tilt columns available , one could be built to be mounted in a cj5 dash and to connect to the steering box off the firewall , but will take some machining and planning .
Cj5 has a solid column with the steering gear bolted close to firewall and I believe the cj7 had its steering gear relocated closer to the front axle with longer steering column rod and different steering linkage and different axle and steering knuckles . As you can see , it's quite an extensive modification that would be less than achievable to most backyard mechanics.
I would look at trying to modify the drivers seat higher and/or forward to aid driver comfort .
if you know anyone with a cj7 with tilt column , compare the difference under the dash and under the hood. Other factors such as exhaust manifolds , clutch linkage , maybe brake lines , etc. are factors as well . Unbolt the drivers seat and figure a new mounting . Maybe there are after market for this . But to modify steering column , can't be done with stock column , maybe if there is a column with a universal joint at the sector shaft through the firewall and column could be changed to a tilt , this would be easier than changing steering box but would still need modification. You would be reinventing the jeep as it was engineered with the column bolted in at that angle for mechanical advantage with manual steering. Good luck with it though and give lots of thought before lifting a wrench. Best of luck , Greg

Sorry , but I must make a correction to my last post . Your CJ5 is a '74 , but earlier CJ's which used the earlier type steering linkage would need extensive modification . The later CJ's , such as yours had the steering box mounted forward of the front axle with a longer steering shaft . Because of this design , the later CJ benefits and the earlier needs the extensive work. Sorry for my error. The good part is , you can get a tilt column from a GM vehicle such as what the Cherokee xj's use . Of course it is best to stay in the same body designation such as the cj7 since it will be the closest , if not a direct bolt on . AMC jeeps closest to your CJ's year would be best donors for a column , but if you take measurements of your column , you can find one that will be best suited for your jeep. Measure from steering box sector shaft to firewall , measure under dash from firewall to dash brace to . That will help decide what column is closest from what size vehicle. Which ever column you find , the first critical installation concerns are under the dash to firewall mounting . Wiring is next . Under the hood , you will be concerned with the length of the steering shaft from firewall to sector shaft of steering gear box. Consider the flex joint from steering shaft to steering box fit . Splines must fit and bolt up. Same is true for the upper steering shaft where it joins to lower column at firewall . So now you are concerned with the length and clearance of the steering shaft . May have to be cut and re-welded and must clear engine and exhaust. . Many GM columns will be close or fit all previous concerns but keep in mind all of your existing connections , mounts and clearances to chose the best fit. Style may will be of concern to so also keep that in mind if is possible to combine fit and looks together.
To simply loosen the firewall and dash mount and re-brace to match your needs will look poor and may possibly cause binding in steering shaft if too an extreme angle is found in the coupling to steering box . Take a good look at your jeep , measure and look at other GM vehicles to help make your decision . For your jeep , this IS achievable. It's out there waiting for you , go get it and put it in . After all is done . You'll have a tilt column and drive in comfort. You may not even have to remount the drivers seat as previous mentioned. Hope this helps . Greg

Back