88 yj will not idle

2000roo

I have an 88 YJ. I noticed that it had the wrong carb and put the correct computer controlled one back on. It is a new rebuild. The first carb was off a 74. I replaced the carb because the bowl gasket was leaking badly. Now it will not idle at all. It acts like the timing is off. What does the ecm on the 88 controll? Is there a timing advance in the ecm that is controlled by the throttle ? It will run if you keep feathering the throttle.

I had to put the BBd back on because of Texas emissions. I am doing a V8 swap next fall. I just need it to pass inspection and run for a year.

Since the Jeep had the wrong carb on it with none of the electronics hooked up is there a chance that the tming is now off? It ran ok before I cahnged the carb. Except when you were on the highway if you put it in overdrive you could not keep your speed up. In the artical about bypassing the ECM it says to readjust the timing.

Keith-

Who knows what has been done to your jeep but it could be the timing. The question is can you get by a Texas emission inspection with a Nutter Bypass? If so I would start with that following the instructions in the link I gave you before. Note in the article the timing started out dramatically after top dead center once the Nutter was done which is not good for the motor so pay attention to that issue as you go through the procedure. Other than a lack of vacuum hoses over stock, maybe the smog gods will pass you as the BBD carb is in place.

If you score the Mopar efi conversion kit, it comes with a 50 state (yes, CA included) EPA certified sticker for the conversion

I am putting a 5.3 in my jeep next October. I just want it to pass inspection and run this year so I can drive it to go wheeling. I am collecting parts for the conversion now.

I finally got started on the nutter bypass. In the article listed above it states that there are two wires coming from the distributor an orange and purple. I have those wires. It says these wires go into the fire wall and that an orange wire from the ignition module goes into the firewall beside them. My wires go into the factory wiring harness from the distributor. The purple and orange wires coming out of the ignition module do not exist past the connector. do I just cut these wires behind the connector and run new wires to the wires coming off the distributor? The diagram in the article seem to indicate this is correct. I just want to check before I cut.
Thanks

I did the "Nutter" what is the proper way to set the timing. I know it is 8 btdc but how do I count the marks. Is the one by the magnetic tube zero? What is the idle speed?

I did the timing the best I knew how to and the results are great. The jeep now idles at 800 rpms without stalling. There is still a miss but I think there is a vacuum leak. However, I do not understand the point of changing the vacuum lines from the distributor. Is the new location supposed to have better vacuum? Any help on this would be great.
Thanks
Keith

Back