93 grand cherokee limited zj 4.0 auto toubleshooting can anyone help???

Mohatch9394

New to the forum here but what i saw while browsing is what prompted me to become a member so i will cut to it since i have more questions than answers and useful knowledge i purchased a 93 grand cherokee limited in December of last year now naturally because of its age it had mileage and some minor issues but it was super clean considering those factors and everything in it seemed to be in proper working order w/the exception of the power windows which i am still trying to resolve but have sidelined for now because of other projects and responsibilities until last night now i have a much more serious issue which i need to try and resolve asap since at the moment this is my daily to work and back and only available vehicle currently o.k so yesterday went to work then home then to town and home combined total approx 35 to 40 miles overall nothing abnormal except i noticed what i thought was front cv shaft click while turning so when i got back i crawled under and took a look and all seemed visibly o.k. even the boots where still in good shape got in it to go to work this morning and it was like someone had me anchored to a winch line trying to drag me backward i backed out of driveway and put in drive just as i do everyday and i knew within 15 ft something was unexplainably wrong all of the sudden so over the next mile or so i began to run some live trans test consisting from start and stops in each forward gear manually as well as automatically also with switching the o/d button on dash off and thats the same time my guts hit the floor and temper out the window all common sense was for lack of a better term lost the overdrive button isnt functioning no light no change in trans or rpm like normal as well trans acted or is acting rather like it is stuck in 2nd gear trans wont kick down no matter how far you push the throttle and at one point i thought i pushed it clean through the floor also the trans wont down shift manually in or out of 1st drive or overdrive it does however seem to shift normally up and down between d2 and d3 but still no final drive or od and in trying to determine source of problem i found that the o/d button and light function normally w/ignition on but engine not running the minute i start it the function is non existent for the record i apologize for the lengthy story but when trying to troubleshoot and describe things of this nature to a wide variety of people or audience if you will i found that the more symptom mattic description you can depict then usually the more accurate of responses you receive (i hope) thank you all in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

Ok have you checked your auto transmission fluid level ? this is a good place to start. with low fluid your trans will act all kinds a crazy. I dont know what to say about your cv joint. I hope this helps./

Back