A hearty farewell Toast to Pioneers of American Autos

L33TJ33P

http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/28/pf/autos/olds_dead/index.htm?cnn=yes

Dead at 106: Oldsmobile

The last car from America's oldest car company rolls off the line Thursday in Lansing, Mich.
April 28, 2004: 2:00 PM EDT
By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNN/Money staff writer

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - The last car from America's oldest car company -- an Oldsmobile Alero -- is due to roll off a Lansing, Mich., assembly line Thursday.

The death of the Oldsmobile -- a brand with sales that have dropped steadily in recent years -- marks the end of an era in American automaking. Olds says it was the first company to mass-produce cars -- not Ford -- and that it pioneered the use of chrome and automatic transmissions in American cars.

The last Alero to come off the line Thursday in Lansing is destined for a home in the R.E. Olds Transportation Museum, named for Ransom Eli Olds, who co-founded the Olds Motor Vehicle Company in August 1897.

"Oldsmobile production has remained unprofitable and, therefore, GM's current planning is to end production with the 2004 models," General Motors, the world's biggest automaker, said in September 2001.

The last 500 Aleros produced will be painted metallic cherry red and carry special Final 500 markings. Special final edition versions of Oldsmobile's Bravada SUV and Silhouette minivan are also being offered by those Oldsmobile dealers that remain.

The final edition Bravada has been a particularly hot seller, said Vince Peckens, sales manager at DeMaagd GMC, Nissan-Oldsmobile in Battle Creek, Mich.

Peckens said his dealership will keep selling Oldsmobiles until there are no more left on the lot. That will probably happen by the end of the summer, he said.

Curved Dash
There are about 1,750 Oldsmobile dealerships still in operation, said Rebecca Harris, a GM spokesperson.

While the Alero will be no more, the Lansing plant will continue operating, producing the last 2004 model year Pontiac Grand Ams, a car fundamentally similar to the Alero. A new plant nearby will produce the 2005 Pontiac G6, a replacement for the Grand Am.

Joined GM in '08
Oldsmobile was the second brand to become part of General Motors.

The automaker, by then called Olds Motor Works, joined GM in November 1908, two months after Buick, according to General Motors historical information.

Oldsmobile became GM's mid-market brand, positioned somewhere between the high-end brands Cadillac and Buick and the mass-market bands Chevrolet and Pontiac.

Once GM (GM: Research, Estimates) began relying more on sharing components, and virtually entire cars, among different brands, Oldsmobile began to suffer from a loss of identity, said Ken Gross, an automotive historian and columnist for Old Cars Weekly.

"It was the ultimate middle child," said Gross.

Olds claims to be the first company to mass produce gasoline-powered automobiles, something that is often credited to Ford Motor Co. Ford (F: Research, Estimates) takes credit for having the first moving assembly line in 1913.

According to historical information from GM, Olds' Curved Dash automobile was mass-produced in 1901.

Oldsmobile also claims to be the first to use chrome decoration on its cars. In 1926, the shiny metal plating was used on Olds radiator shells. It also claims the first cars with a fully automatic transmission, the Hydra-Matic, which debuted in 1940 models.

The 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass W-30 4-4-2 convertible muscle car was named one of the most collectible American cars by auto auction company Kruse International in 2003.

Ford is bringing studibaker back maybe olds will reappear later.

It is very sad. I think they could have kept it going had they wanted to. I thought they were headed in the right direction.

L33TJ33P said:
The 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass W-30 4-4-2 convertible muscle car was named one of the most collectible American cars by auto auction company Kruse International in 2003.

Makes me miss my 71. Sometimes I wish I had kept it but...such is life.

image-missing.png

First the camaro, now the whole division of Olds!

Man GM is really pissing me off, we don't need 6 incarnations of the same gosh darn SUV (trailblazer), how about some real cars, a inexpensive rear wheel drive, or a lesser expensive luxo car (amm camaro, olds??)

Next they are probably Ice the vette and bring about a new front drive 4 door 4cyl called the Shitbox-io

and ps, the new GTO's are finally a step in the right direction.

I feel sorry for anyone losing their jobs, but it's open market competition out there and this is what happens if you can't manufacture a quality product. I hope Buick, Pontiac and Cadillac step up before they follow suit.
My father is a Cadillac lover from way back. He is on his 5th one. Everyone of them has been a hunk of junk. Right now he has a 2001 NorthStar El Dorado that is in the shop more than on the road. Every now and then when he starts it, it blows thick smoke for about 2-3 minutes. The dealership says the Northstar's are bad about getting clogged oil galleries because it is a closed loop system. Sounds like BS. I thought they were all closed loop systems. The only Cadillac's worth having are the Avalanche knock offs and the Escalades because they all have Chevy motors and drivetrain.
My Suburban is getting near 150,000 miles now with only having changed the brakes, one battery and the water pump. The 99 Silverado I had before that went up to 90,000 before I got rid of it and never had the brakes, battery or anything changed. Just oil and gas.
The point is that if GMC and Chevy can make cars and trucks like that, then why can't all the other GM brands.

since most car manufacturers overlap and rebrand their vehicles anyway its not reall a loss, possibly a factory shutting down which is always bad, but i'd rather see the rebranded cars merged into one, who cares if its a GMC or a CHEVY suburban, its still the same vehicle... merge the companies into one, and offer one line of cars if thats how they want to run.. get rid of all the old brands that went the wayside and maintain the current ones. DOes it really matter what name is on it? so long as the quality is still there?

One of my most favorite cars is a 56 olds super 88, looks just like a tri 5 chevy but the body lines are a lot cleaner.

i need a right rear taillight for a 96 grand cherokee

graewulf,

i dont think the plant shut down, they are just making diffrent GM cars there now

The slogan "This isn't your fathers Oldsmobile" sums it up best. That's right, Olds hasn't built a car like the ones my father drove in quite some time. There's the problem. I hate to see an American auto manufacturer go under.....but Olds dropped the ball a long time ago. When the decisions were made to give up on the BOP engine programs and use the "corporate"(Chevy) engines in those car lines, they lost their identity. The reason Pontiac is still prospering, is because they most closely resembled the operating practices of the Chevrolet division and rode their coat tails. Olds and Buick chose to cater to the silver hair crowd, and have paid the price.

far_right said:
graewulf,

i dont think the plant shut down, they are just making diffrent GM cars there now

That's a good thing then.... the olds stopped selling wel years ago, time to retool and make something else is all.

Back