Alternator and valve cover

Saltydog13

Two fun issues. 1985 CJ7 258
First, got back from work trip and CJ was dead at airport parking lot. Battery was replaced about 6 months ago (Optima Red Top). Guy that jumped started me had tester and could see no charge going to battery from alternator. Any recommendations on alternators I should install? Never installed an alternator before so any tips would be great.

Second, had a shop install a new valve cover gasket back in the Spring. About 2 months ago started leaking oil from the gasket. Getting tired of the shop so want to do this myself. Recommendations for type of gasket and install info? Anything to check on the cover itself?

As always, thank you very much!

When replacing alternators, I like to go "1 size up" as far as amperage. In "85 the stock alternator was I believe either 35A or 42A Delco. A Delco alternator of a higher amperage is usually the same size & would be an upgrade.

As for the valve cover. The stock valve cover in "85 was plastic. It may be time to replace it with a steel or aluminum cover. The plastic covers were known to leak.
If it has already been changed to steel. Make sure the area around the bolt holes is flat. overtightening the bolts will "dimple" the steel & cause fitment issues.

First get your alternator tested. It could be as simple as bad ground or inline fuse if you have one.

If you have to buy new make sure you add up all the fuses in current then add 10%.

Back