Autometer tach in a cj5

blaylock6502

I put an autometer ultralight 2 in my 74 cj5. It is very jumpy and inaccurate. I contacted autometer and they said to put a 10k ohm .5 watt resistor inline with the signal wire to try to buffer some of the noise. I plan to do this was just curious if anyone had run into the same thing??

I have autometer ultralite gauges on my 81 CJ7 and i haven't had to do anything unusual like that other than install it according to instructions. They are very reliable and able to withstand the weather. Make sure all your connections are good, no loose contacts.

I've checked connections several times and installed the resistor with no change but I realized last night the harness that carries signal wire is actually laying on top of 3 plug wires on the way to the coil. I'm gonna try to reroute or shield the harness if that doesn't work I give up!

I read somewhere a long time ago that if your tach gauge jumps around you could wrap a rubberband around the back of the gauge and somehow this is subposed to help it not jump so much. I never had to try it but vividly remember reading it because I thought "no way". May be worth a try.

Back