beater/computer

RudeDog

Who has a comuter beater car used for work?

I just this weekend replaced my old commuter friend, my 1993 Honda Accord Ex. I Bought it used with 43k miles in 1995. It went thru 4+ moves, a serious amount of computing, and a daughter & son learning to drive. At one point I gave it to my daughter, but later got it back when she bought herself a car. I drove it for its final golden years. I had it for 18 years (same age as my son). It had the original engine & transmission which made it to 283k miles. The outside was really worn , clear coat was peeling off, and the hood & rf fender were creased from an incident where I about backed over it with my (lifted) truck one dark night. Recently It was on it last leg with a blown head gasket. Still ran, but it was sick. So this weekend I bought another new beater/computer. A 1997 Honda Accord with 139k miles. Let the saga repeat for another 15+ years... I felt like saluting the old ride as it was loaded up on a roll back (tow truck) today, and slowly rolled down the driveway. A good old (family) friend....

I hear you - I had a 91 Prelude for years. It was a fantastic car.

The jewel passed smog this week. Wow it rides and handles so much nicer than the old (tired) previous ride. What a difference a 150k less miles makes. You don't realize how worn out the old ride is till ya switch over to something newer.

A friend of mine has a 92 ford tempo with 212000 miles on it. It has just passed inspection, runs good,timeing chain is ratteling so I know that needs to be replaced. It's a 2.3l engine, automatic,body is in good shape though it is ugly as hell with the clear coat peeling off from it. I have been driveing it around this past week and it runs good and getting good gas mileage. How much do yall think it may be worth?

Nobody knows,nobody cares, was thinking about buying it. till I found out that ya had to pull the engine in order to replace the timeing chain. That's not happening to a 20 year old car with over 200,000 miles on it.
Now with me ,if it was a 40 year old jeep I wouldn't have any issues at all with sinking money into it and bringing it back to life. But the idea of sinking money into an old car just don't get it,not unless it was something like a 65 dodge charger.
Just need to hang in there till I find a jeep to throw my money at, then I'll be happy.

RE: BEATER / COMPUTER

I have this habit of trying to keep something running when all hope or logic says different . A friend once asked if I thought fixing his girlfriends pontiac FWD 4 cyl. Was worthwhile . I checked compression and found a bad head gasket . We put new spark plugs in it to keep it running but told him it won't last long . I prospected taking it home , a long distance to my house to repair it , but told him repairs such as this lead from a head gasket , to a water pump , to hoses , etc. . As it was , the car was not maintained as its owner did not have much money and did not believe a car should be maintained but should last on its own.
I thought I could put this car back into shape to help save money on her buying another car. But money being an issue and lack of will to maintain a car foremost , I cautioned against proceeding forward . The car was of 80's vintage and was bearly worth the attempt but I was thinking of helping save her money. I let them think about it and they junked it .
I just seem to , once in a while , think it is a good idea to try to get the last mile from a car . But I never know , how many miles will , or should that be ? You are right though , a 40 year old jeep will be well worth the expense and effort . I totally concur.
Although the '92 tempo seems worth to some degree , it seems the jeep is what is in quest .
I struggle with this thought once in a while but ask myself , is it personal quest or practicality do I consider resurrecting a vehicle that will only lead to more expense and downtime , only to ask , how badly do I want to continue to own it ?
Many factors involved are why we consider fixing a beater , but it is the jeep we want as we will love and cherish it .
I respect your decision and hope that a jeep comes into yours soonest . That is what will reap happiness and worth in investing time and money for a worthwhile cause . I too must hold out and fight temptation . It was said before by a wise member , " we can't save 'em all " . The beater may not be worth , but the jeep is our quest . All things being equal , we would rather drive the jeep . I say , well done . Unless a commuter takes precedence , the jeep awaits its new home . Let,it be yours . Greg92jeepxj

Back