Big time Transmission Problem?

60biscayne

We have 3 Jeeps at our house but the one with the problem is Mom's so you can see the importance of getting it squared away! Vehicle is a 1995 Cherokee 4.0 w/auto trans. Driving on interstate at 70+ & all of a sudden no go..... pull over to the side of the road - No forward or reverse. Shut the vehicle off a few minutes start it up & have reverse & forward... back out onto the road - vehicle shifted but not perfect - ran for about a mile or two than no go again! Shutdown / wait / restart & go one more time = crap out again!

Have vehicle towed to garage of a good mechanic I know. He questioned an old guy that is the parts supplier to all the transmission shops in the area etc.... Anyway the old guy said it's probably the torque converter! So I bought one ($125) & we changed it. Big job & it didn't correct the situation. Somebody else said it's probably a valve sticking or one of the solenoids not working properly! My buddy had a trans from a '99 Jeep that had a bad front pump but looked pretty much the same. We exchanged the entire valve body section which had the couple of solenoids on it. We also replaced the 3 pistons & springs which are able to be replaced with the valve body off. The pistons weren't the exact same p/n but they were real close so we used them. Put it all together with a new filter & fresh fluid & it ran like a champ! Used it around for a few days put about 150 miles on it - everything OK! My daughter loaded it up with her stuff & took off for college about 300 miles from home - got there No Problems! Vehicle was parked for a few days, she was driving down the road & it started all over again! No go!

Pull over - Shut it down - Wait - Start it up - but now all it has is 1st gear! If you try to drive it it will stay in 1st - if you let off the gas it jumps into a neutral mode (No Go)!

Does anybody know whats wrong???????????
image-missing.png
jascush@ptd.net[addsig]

I'm no expert with transmission's, but sounds like it's time for a rebuild (with the right parts) to me. Possibly something in that valve body.[addsig]

Back