CJ7 Steering Column Dilemma- Oh Crap!

PoliceMonkey161

Hello All,

So, in the process of rebuilding my Cj's steering column, I broke the lower colmun shroud (well that's what the Saginaw manual calls it anyway) into about four pieces. It that's plastic cover that snaps into the metal sleeve, the manual says these two parts are one piece but I can certainly tell you it is possible to make it a "two piece" unit. Anyway, that whole piece is screwed into the upper housing (shroud) that contains the lock cylinder and is effectively the cover between the dash and upper shroud. Best part, I dropped it after reconiditoning/during the re-assembly of the column....... Oh, if you didn't already know, it's not just a cosmetic part, it holds a tension spring plate and the key release lever in place :cry:.

Anyway, this part is proven to be impossible to find by itself and it seems the guy's on Ebay want a fortune for the OEM columns (that maybe in just as bad of shape).

Has anyone here installed/retro-fit a different column in their CJ7? Not interested in the aftermarket type, Flaming River etc. I see where the YJ columns will work and the XJ's as well. I found a decent 92' XJ column w/ wheel I'm thinking about. I would prefer to just find the shroud but not looking so good.

Thanks,

John

If you have access to a junkyard, look for an older model Chevy pickup truck. I'm not sure of the year if the 79 or 80's model is the closest match on the steering column. Maybe someone else can chime in on this with a better info on the year.

Hey Johnny,

I tried to send you the photo on a PM, but the system is not letting me upload from my files. This is the part. the upper half is plastic which is what broke.

Thanks for your help,

John C.

column.JPG

If you have access to a junkyard, look for an older model Chevy pickup truck. I'm not sure of the year if the 79 or 80's model is the closest match on the steering column. Maybe someone else can chime in on this with a better info on the year.

Thanks, appearently the 80's Chevy Blazer/C10/Surburban columns are similiar. The 80's era Trans Am columns (GM A body)will work to or so I've been told. It seems regardless that the intermediate shafts will have to modified in some way. That's not a huge problem for me, I can fab up the part, just want to avoid a Frankinstien job.

I thought they looked like the ones in the late 70's monte carlos. Sorry to hear your having trouble, this thread caught my eye 'cause I'm about to get into the colum on my CJ8 and see why it wobbles.

Mark,

If its a tilt column, the wobble usually is due to a loose tilt bracket plate held by 4 inverted torx head bolts. I've had the same happen on mine and I used a red locktite on the bolts 6 yrs ago and its still holding good.

I looked this weekend but couldn't find one. I am heading over to the shop later this week, I have more parts there and will look.

Back