Consistent 210* when it's HOT (for Oregon) out is this OK?

Turbogus

:deadhorse:

Hi gang, Sorry to re~hash this but I saw another post and the gears in my head started their summertime creaking. I've posted more than a few times about the updates to 'Black Betty'('78 CJ-5), she's got a 360 out of a Waggy, 3 row downtube radiator, fan shroud, electric fan, and a flowkooler water pump. At highway speeds in the summertime she can peak at about 210* according to my mechanical temp gauge and on one occasion last year as high as 220* and at that time the idiot gauge was fully hot! This 210* has been consistent during summer since I bought her and even before I added the winch (potentially inhibiting airflow) remining at 210*. Now when I see other overheatsing threads mentioning 210* being normal, they're referring to XJ's and their ilk, but what about old school CJ's? Do I need to do further mods? Thanks and a lift of the lynch lid for your responses.

What temp is your stat set for?
I run a 190 and the electric gauge seems to run around 200

I've had a 180* in there for the last three years (one of the first things I replaced to correct the higher temps)

I reckon I'm concerned as "Easy Bake" my '81 Black Panel van despite 190 stat runs a consistent 140-150* summer or winter (in the wintertime I block part of the radiator with an aluminum shield to get the heater working somewhat)

From another forum I'm being told by two "experts" that I need a better e fan setup like the Contour fans because at highway speeds they will keep the engine cooler. All these years I thought that radiator fans were intended for idle and slower road speeds, while the realative wind blowing in at highway speeds were adequate for radiator cooling. Learn something new every day, I reckon.

210* is a bit hot for a v-8, My 327 runs at 180-190* all the time. I have only seen it as 200 once or twice and it was only for a few minutes and went back down. pretty sure I only have a 2 core radiator and it keeps it that cool. The yj, xj 6cyl run normal around 200-210 not the older v-8s. My hotrod friend told me he dont like anything over 200, that its not good on the older motors but is the norm on the newer ones. I would try to cool it down some.

Last summer it was around 100* outside and thats when BB's mechanical emp gauge read 220 and the idiot gauge in he speedometer head was full hot. No ill effects during or thereafter though, I was just concerned.

Yesterday was at the wrecking yard and got the last Mystique double fan within 50 miles of here, I hope it's the right one. I had no access to part nos. so had to go by appearance with some photos I printed from this and other forums;
7705699734_a07f1cf0c0_c-1.jpg

7705691762_c8ccfd413b_c-1.jpg

7705686204_2c1b9e8a86_c-1.jpg

Several threads are referring to these dual fan setups and, although I remain dubious one "expert" from another forum pronounced that the fans cool the radiator/motor even at highway speeds. Now I thought it was the realative wind that took care of cooling at speed. That's what I get for thinking, I reckon

THIMK OR THWIM
wink-1.gif

Thanks "inf" although I'm guessing that owing to updated electronics and fuel controls that later motor have to run higher operating temps to meet emission standards for the year they were manufactured. Not to mention I've been remiss in tackling new proects on 'Black Betty' anyway.
:givemebeer:

Well I gave up on waiting on Amazon partners to get a Hella relay off to me so I revisited the boneyard today.
Can anyone tell me if these are the correct relays?

View attachment 14450
I think the little one is the high speed fan relay

View attachment 14451

...but what's up with this green one?

Went back to the boneyard looking for a bank of relay sockets (small footprint) and I found two more 70/80 amp relays for free with a more contemporary number;

7846802392_5f4691f44d_z-1.jpg

7846802860_357d68310b_z-1.jpg

I scanned several vehicles for small footprint relay pods, but so far those that take Bosch style relays are 6x9" and larger.

I reckon I'm concerned as "Easy Bake" my '81 Black Panel van despite 190 stat runs a consistent 140-150* summer or winter (in the wintertime I block part of the radiator with an aluminum shield to get the heater working somewhat)

From another forum I'm being told by two "experts" that I need a better e fan setup like the Contour fans because at highway speeds they will keep the engine cooler. All these years I thought that radiator fans were intended for idle and slower road speeds, while the realative wind blowing in at highway speeds were adequate for radiator cooling. Learn something new every day, I reckon.

Bad data. If your running a 190 deg thermo you should actually read app +15 from the stat at the engine block. 205. My guess is your thermo is opening prematurely or failed open. Other than this the gage is broke. Keep running too cool and you'll have an issue.

Second at and above 35mph you will not hear an e-fan turn on in a properly set up engine and radiator. at 35 mph there is enough air being forced through to sufficiently cool the coolant.

Simple: Coolant draws heat from the cylinder walls. Once the heat of the coolant reaches a point of boiling at the cylendar walls it is time to exchange it with cooler fluid. The fluid is circulated inside the engine block to even out the temperature. When all the water reaches temp to where the fluid could boil it needs to be exchanged or cooled. This is when the thermo should open. Once hot fluid enters the radiator the heat is released by the fins in the radiator to the flowing air. If the fluid flows too slow or too fast, boiling at the cylindar walls occures and the cylendar wall metal fatifues and deforms.

Waggy 360 has 3 diff temps listed 160 180 and 195 deg. Based on climate. I'd use the 180.

Last edited:

Yeppirs ! This is what I thought too. Hence I used quotes on "experts" Have a great weeend!

Back