"CRD" Jeep Diesel

I like the little diesels. I don't really know alot about that one in particular, but it seems impressive for what it is.

The horsepower is kind of low to really excite the average American buyer, but the utility of an engine like that can't be denied. If it's put in front of the 6 speed tranmission and lower axle gearing that Jeep is going to, I think alot of it's benefits will be lost. I wouldn't mind having one in my TJ with the automatic and 3.07:1 diff gearing though.

Mod's for a 360

diesels always have low horsepower numbers. It's tourque that makes a vehicle go anyways...

It would be pretty sweet to have a little diesel in a Jeep. Only problem is they weigh SO much compared to a similar gas engine.

RE: Well, the bastids finally did it....

My ex-brother-in-law had built a 68 chevelle with a small Perkins diesel back in about 1974. I can't remember the size nor what it was out of, but he had coupled it to a GM Saginaw 4-speed transmission (wide ratio 3.08:1 1st gear) and ran the 12-bolt rearend with about 2.78:1 gears. The Chevelle was a small block car and he had not got around to putting in big block springs in the front prior to wrecking in on wet pavement. It was definately noseheavy and needed heavier springs in the front, as the diesels are heavy. Lots of work to do that transplant....adapters for transmission, fabrication, fuel system etc. but what a different feel driving a 350 gas engine and then the same car with that Perkins!!!! Torque rules. LBR

I hope somebody kicked your brother right square in the nads for even contemplating the horrific act of placing a diesel between the precious framerails of a 68 Chevelle. :x

just kidding.......a little :lol:

The Liberty has the CRD available. It comes with a 5 speed auto and 4.10 gears as the only drivetrain. If they offered that setup in a Wrangler I'd buy one tomorrow but it would have to keep the solid axles (unlike the IFS Libby).

I don't know much about the CRD's in the Jeeps, but last night on "Rides" there was a segment about the Dodge truck Banks Performance built a few years ago when CRD's were first introduced. It was the first truck to break 210mph. Of the 4 runs they did on the show the last was at 221mph! I'm sure by now there are or shortly will be some sweet aftermarket parts for those motors.

Back