Does your fuel mileage stink or is it just me?

60biscayne

I'm just thinking - I have to check it out for sure as to how many miles to the gallon I'm getting but all I know is that it stinks!
I have an '89 Wrangler with a complete 2004 Wrangler 4.0 engine, Automatic Trans & T-case
It was a 4.2 with a 5 speed so what ever ratio the rears are I'm not sure!
I installed a 20 gallon fuel tank into it, its got a complete 4" lift kit (all new springs etc.) & I'm running these 33x12x15 Thornbirds. Very aggressive but I think they are what's killing the fuel mileage!
Any thoughts? I'd love to hear what other guys are getting
Jim

Look around some of the other posts.It most likely is not just your jeep.I have heard any where from 8mpg to 20mpg.I run around 14-17mpg.31" tires 2.5l engine.

I'm getting 15.79 miles per ( US) gallon in the midst of winter, i assume better in the summer
4.0L stock tires etc. 6-speed

You may want to check your speed and mileage against a GPS unit. My Jeep is about 20% less than want the GPS says. Speedometer Gear issue I think?

Speedometer gear plays a BIG part, not only in "recorded" mileage but also how efficient the engine works (the ECU uses the speed data in its fuel mixture calculations). I'd say that 14~16 is about the standard for most of our Jeeps, although I have heard of lows as far down as 9 and highs as far up as 22.

I get around 15-17 mpg with 33" and 1" body lift. I have had some days were I get 19. Don't floor it when you take off and you can save some gas. lol. ;)

15-16 for me and that's a mix of city and hwy everyday. Definitely make sure your speedo is correct.

My mpg is always worse in the winter. Tires matter too. Last fall I got more aggressive A/T's, stock size, for my Sport Trac to replace the OE all-season tires and instantly lost 2 mpg.

Speaking of the Speedogear, how hard is it to replace and how expensive is it? And where to find and calculate the gear needed?

Ah the pleasures of driving a shoe box down the highway:lol: I average about 12-18 with 33x10.5 Bfgs w/ 4.88s powered by a healthy 4.0 and AX-15.

Changing it requires:

1. Unscrew one bolt
2. Remove speedo gear housing
3. remove old speedo gear
4. Insert new speedo gear
5. insert housing at the right angle for the speedo gear used
6. reatach bolt

It takes about 4 minutes to do.

well, of course my jeep is old. When I drove it regularly, it avged about 14 MPG with a 258 CID and a single barrel carb. It has a 3 speed. Could not tell you how fast I drive as the speedo went out 10 years ago. Could not tell you how often I fueled on a tank other then every 3 days, top off the tank. (fuel guage gave up the ghost 7 years ago). But it has a 15 gallon tank, I put 6 to seven gallons in every few days and I knew how far I drove. Now, a tank last me 2 to 3 months. Thats about how often I drive and I usually fill up at the nearest gas can. No clue what the mileage is anymore though if I get the new job, I will be driving daily. I might even fix the fuel gauge.

I have a 2004 Wrangler with 47k, 2.5 inch suspension lift, 31 inchx10.50(Treadwright) tires with the MTR tread, 5 speed, with Dana 44 (3.73 gears) and am getting anywhere from 13-17 mpg all around. Not great but nothing beats a Jeep. Hopefully it will get better once it warms up here in upstate NY. I think what hurt my MPG was my ARB Snorkel....cool looking but it sure makes a longer more restrictive trip into the motor. Any suggestions??

I have a 1997 TJ and i thought the same thing... my dad has a 1994 YJ and we go out wheeling for a day I have to refill my tank and my dad has almost half a tank left come to find out his tank is bigger than mine but the fuel mileage is about the same SO how big is your tank? both have 2.5 motor and 2" lift with 31" tires...

33x12x15 Thornbirds There is your issue. Jeep drive it it's a lifestyle It's not about the gas.

Back