Ignition Upgrade

orngjp

79cj5, 258....
looking to upgrade the stock ignition to either GM HEI or FORD TFI.... any opinions??

Ford swap would be easier and a little less $$$, but i do like the simplicity of the GM system.... coil is integrated and could do away with the control box. Anyone have any off road experience with durability of the Ford TFI???

I have been running the TFI upgade for a few years and like it alot. For the past couple months I have had it modified to the HEI/TFI hybrid. (GM module, TFI coil & cap/rotor.) It works great as well, and no worries about frying the duraspark module. I definitely recommend it.

Thanks Jay79!!

Had not heard about the GM control module swap when doing the TFI swap... that certainly improves my desire to go that direction. I'm going to search for some info on that module swap now.... any links you are aware of?

Thanks again.

I don't have any links on this computer to share, but I know they will come up if you google it. I think most of my info came from an old thread on another form I found during the search.

The GM module needs a heat sink. I saw one post where a guy used the housing of the stock module. That was nice b/c it fits in the stock location with the stock mount. Another guy used a processor heat sink from an old computer, which is what I did. No problems 2 or so months later. This mod allows you to run a full 12v in your ignition circuit that would normally burn out the stock module.

thanks again...

found a few articles to help with the swap from my search. guess it is time to dive in.

Back