In the market for a new cat-back exhaust...

CTJeeper

My exhaust is shot... and the bottom of the pipe is rusted through from where it comes back down after the axle, so im looking to buy a new cat-back. Anybody have any suggestions? I found a Gibson system for $249, but i was also considering Borla, havent found a price on that yet. anybody use these or have suggestions?? which one adds more power, and which one sounds better
image-missing.png
?[addsig]

Personally I like borla, but I ended up using walker exhaust because it was cost effective. In other words it was cheap.
image-missing.png

Flowmaster also has some nice products[addsig]

i've seen dynomax cat-back kits for like 90 bucks. i had one on my civic... it was nice and throaty (unlike the rest of those ricey weedwhacker mufflers...[addsig]

I've got the borla and its not bad...

Good quality constuction and you can tell by the sound that they are not using cheap materials. (nice deep growl)

My only complaint is that the piping is all the same diameter as stock... I kinda wanted more flow and less backpressues on my exaust, but there you go...

Also, on the Cj's the exaust tip comes out just behind the right rear tire, so it gets COATED in mud really quick. Good thing its stainless

I'd be careful around those flowmaster and vibrant catbacks. I've heard what they sound like on imports and it sounds like hell. (Fart Can effect on hondas)

[addsig]

I have heard borla on a YJ and it sounded good... The cost is horrible because i priced it out and the average prices are about 320-350 for the cat back and headers vary... I know my headers are expensive because they are brand new they are like 399 for them.. btw if you do exhaust you have to do intake it makes it sound that much better![addsig]

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font class="pn-sub">Quote:</font><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT class="pn-sub"><BLOCKQUOTE>are any of these exhausts louder than the others?</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

dynomax is usually quieter than most systems for any car from what I have seen [addsig]

my borla is loud as hell, but then again, my cat converter's been removed...

image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I've had better luck with the gibson. It's cheaper then the Borla, sounds every bit as good and is won't rust either. The aluminized pipe works great. I'm also not sold on borlas stainless steel dip. Save yourself the money.

[addsig]

I have a 1989 YJ with a 4.2-6

Several years ago I shopped for exhaust. Just about the time my manifold cracked.

I installed a Borla Header. I needed to customise a few brackets because they wern't designed for automatics, but it was worth the effort.

When I got to the Cat-back, I looked for cost, life expectency, sound (Understanding most mufflers get louder as the wear out) and ease of install. I looked at Flowmaster (to loud for my taste) Gibson (cost and sound) Dynomax Superturbo (I liked the sound "Quiet" and the warranty was also a plus) I looked into "Cat back systems" for a bolt on install. I did my homework and found the correct size "Super Turbo" muffler was about $30.00 on the internet. and having the Muffler Shop replace the pipe was about $50.00.

Done. This was actually less work than installing a system and he used the factory mounts for a trouble free set up.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Morgster makes sense, It would be heck if you flattened your Borla on a high center. I´ve had pretty good luck with some of the carb. manufactures exhaust systems, Edelbrock or such. Middle price, nice sound and acceptable wall thickness.[addsig]

Does anyone know of a cat back system for a 80 CJ7 258 auto? Everything I have found seems to exclude 1980, usually 81-86 is all I can find. Is there any difference between 80 and 81-86 exhaust?[addsig]

Morgster - you don't happen to remember the specs for that super turbo muffler do you?? Be nice to pass on that homework you did to the rest of us
image-missing.png
[addsig]

I have a 1989YJ 4.2 I-6 and the stock muffler dimensions were 2" center inlet with a 2"offset outlet. (Drive shaft side) 10 inches wide x 15 ½ long x 4 1/2 deep. With the understanding that increasing the exhaust system increases power I decided to enlarge the pipes to 2 3/4 (Bigger is better, Right?) Well not always. My Jeep performed better on the freeway, at top end, but lost too much power at low torque speeds. This was unacceptable to me. So I made another change.

I installed 2 1/2 inch pipes that was right for me. The final dimensions were 2 1/2center inlets with 2 1/2 offset outlets. (Drive shaft side) The muffler is 10 inches wide x 18 1/2 long x 4 1/4 deep. (This was a little longer, but it fit fine and left it with a quiet sound) (A lot nicer for Rock Crawling out in nature) The Dynomax "Super Turbo" part number is 17733. I purchased it at Summit Racing (800) 230-3030. If you want to see it go to (www.summitracing.com) In the "Enter Summit Part # box put "WLK-17733" and it will take you to their page (Click on the description and it will show you the part). The price was $34.95 and I believe it was also no tax/ no or reasonable shipping.

image-missing.png
[addsig]

More input:

I had installed a new High performance Cat- Converter (If there really is such a thing) which was left with the 2" inlet/outlet. From the rear of the cat I installed a 2'' to 2 1/2 extension (purchased from most all part stores)

This aided in a clean install.
image-missing.png
[addsig]

Back