Jeep's hitting middle age. What should I do?

B192734

So, it's come to that time in Jeep's life. Rolled over 100K about a month ago. Still passing emissions just fine, no issues there. What i have been noticing though is that it just seems to be getting weaker. Losing some fuel mileage, and it seems to be working harder than it did. I'm looking at trying to replace things to get it back into really good working order and don't really know where to start. Also I've noticed that it seems to have a lot of play in the steering. While driving, it likes to wander, and hitting bumps I can feel (through the steering wheel) the tires bouncing wherever they want to. It's an eery feeling. So far, there's nothing on it that doesn't work (that I know of), so everything that I would replace is open to consideration. Other than the front bumper which my wife tore part of it off with her car. That is a required upgrade...

So really, I am wondering what people would start with in this situation. I am hoping to be able to do most of the work myself at home as long as it's something that I can deal with. I've heard that it's pretty easy to get a few hundred K's out of the Inline 6 engines, and i would like to put it to the test. Any constructive thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks to everyone, and have a great rest of your day!

Shocks, tie rod ends, alignment, etc would not be bad ideas. Mine is approaching 200k and has been totalled twice... No problems with it though and the old thing just won't die so I just keep on driving it

Spark plugs, wires,Cap, rotor, fuel filter, pcv valve, combustion cleaner, check the timing chain, cam ,lifters, rods and rockers for wear. Check the cylinder pressures to see if any of them are leaking (Compression test).

Back