Landed a bit hard - now check engine light is on.

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
I did some offroading last weekend, and got in a bit of mud. At one point I had built up some speed (we'll call it momentum), and plowed through some of the thick stuff. The front end popped up a bit, and I came down pretty hard - at that exact time the check engine light came one.

It's been two days, and the light is still on. My code reader gives me code P0057. It appears to be an O2 Sensor, but i can't for the life of me figure out which one of the four.

I've looked around, and can't find any broken or loose connection - could the impact have broken the O2 sensor, or is it likely something else?

----------------------

SYMPTOM
P0057-O2 SENSOR 2/2 HEATER CIRCUIT LOW

TEST NOTE
This symptom is diagnosed using the test P0031-O2 SENSOR 1/1 HEATER CIRCUIT LOW.

WHEN MONITORED
Battery voltage above 10.6 volts , ASD is powered up, and O2 heater is on.

SET CONDITION
O2 Heater element input is below the minimum acceptable voltage.

POSSIBLE CAUSES

O2 Sensor heater operation
O2 Heater element
O2 Heater control circuit
O2 Heater control shorted to ground
PCM

IMG_20140501_074022_wrangler_p0057_error_code.jpg

IMG_20140430_082028_wrangler_p0057_error_code.jpg

IMG_20140501_074031_wrangler_p0057_error_code.jpg

IMG_20140430_082025_wrangler_p0057_error_code.jpg

IMG_20140501_074034_wrangler_p0057_error_code.jpg

Could be, have the code cleared and see if it returns. If so just replace the O2.

Honestly I am more leaning toward drastic temp variables being a potential cause. On the throttle, heat soaking the O2's electrode than submerging in cool mud quickly cooling followed by another heat soaking.

I agree. If the DTC comes back, it's best to replace both upstream and downstream sensors if all of them are of the same age. One of the sensors might have received enough impact to damage the element internal to the sensors. My bet would be one or both of the downstream sensors.

Sent from my iPad using Jeepz

You can download a program to your laptop that you can plug into the OBD port and read "real time" what's going on. A buddy has it but I don't recall the cost. It was cheaper than a Snap On MT2500 though.

Back