My fiance just blew the engine in her '00 GC. I need advice...

chris@uga

So, my fiance forgot to perform an oil change in her GC because her grandfather used to do it for her every time she visited, but once he became sick he was unable to do it any longer.

1) What should I expect to pay for a complete, used 4.0 engine?

2) Would you recommend I buy an engine without accessories since the alternator, oil pan, water pump, etc on hers are still fine? We could even buy a short block with no head since hers is still good, but then you run into having to pay the mechanic to assemble the engine and you don't save money anyway. Simpler to buy a whole engine I suppose?

3) What are some good sites to buy an engine? Is it worth the cost to buy a remanufactured engine? We plan to keep this vehicle for a while because even once we graduate and can afford something newer, it's a nice vehicle to keep around for towing/hauling/taking dirty dogs to the dog park, etc.

Thanks a ton for the help! We're both still in college and don't have the money to go buy a brand new engine or a new vehicle right now.

:edit: Also, has anyone ever had the problem with the trans where you take a 90 degree turn from a stop and the trans lets the engine freely rev up without driving the car forward while you're in the turn, but then works fine once you're going straight again? Hers was doing this before the engine blew. Also, her uncle "fixed" the rear gears and now they whine. Should we expect these things to survive for a few more years or will they grind themselves out fairly quickly? The Jeep is a 2wd that only sees action on the street.

Thanks for any help! It's greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
try car-parts

i've gotten some good deals, and most have a 90 day warranty.... and less then jasper, but not the same waranty...

Thanks for the link. That definitely gives you a huge selection of places to buy an engine. I assume everything listed Grade A is in good running condition and is a complete engine?

Back