Nedders wants to go big...need your advice!!

Nedders

Howdy all. I'm new to this forum and relatively new to the realm of Jeeps, or Wranglers at least (my first vehicle was an 86 Cherokee..still love those things). Since aquiring my '01 TJ last fall I've been plotting on a lift of some kind, but I seem to have hit a dilemma in trying to balance my macho urges with my more practical instincts.

To better explain, several of my friends own Jeeps, all of them with some variation of a lift etc. Now normally I'm not one to get caught up in a pissing contest, but for as much hell as I've taken from them in the past months about "how's life down there" or "hey 'stock' boy" etc, part of me feels that I HAVE to go bigger and badder than any of them. My best friend (the one with the biggest mouth) has an '01 TJ with a 4" lift and 33" Xterrain's, and while it's a remotely bad puppy, it's basically a street Jeep that he won't even put on dirt.

As for my personal situation, there are a number of factors to consider. First off, my Jeep is my daily vehicle, and I won't likely turn it into my "toy" until I get it fully paid off within the next couple of years. I do lots of highway driving and I've heard negative things about the wear and tear that bigger tires and large lifts can have on stock components. Another concern of mine would be rollover stability. I live in Texas where the weather is wild, the highways are fast, and you find roads in all kinds of conditions. My big mouth friend has already spun his TJ into a guardrail in wet weather, and another friend of mine rolled his TJ (a bad mother, rest in peace..the Jeep that is) in some fog on a rural highway. Both of these could likely be chalked up to driver error/inebriation, but I still can't help but think the tires/lift may have contributed.

Those concerns aside, I do aspire to do some recreational off-roading. I'm not looking to do competitive stuff or join a club just yet, but my friends and I do the occassional trail romp/mudding/camping trip etc. I'd like to be well equipped for all types of terrain without being too hardcore (I won't be getting lockers or a winch any time soon if you feel me).

So, given that I'm an amateur and all the other factors mentioned, what I've been considering is a 6" long arm lift kit (4WheelDrive mag has been pushing these hard of late) likely with 35"s or bigger. The long arm kits are purported to have better highway stability at freeway speeds, and in general I'd feel better having a wider stance if I'm gonna be up that high in such a narrow vehicle.

My questions would be:

1. What would something like that (a 6" long arm kit and 35"+ tires) do as far as wear and tear to the rest of the vehicle?

2. How would that effect my every day driving/handling/stability? Is my steering box gonna go out the day after I get it installed?

3. Would I be better served abandoning my macho one-upmanship and just getting a more traditional 4" lift and some 33"s until I make my Jeep a secondary vehicle?

4. Would I have to have my gears done upon installing the kit, or would it still be driveable without any adjustment (my Jeep's a manual)?

5. Gas mileage would..increase or decrease?

Part of me says that the long arm kit would be a better fit for the larger tires because the greater width would mean less linear wheel travel for the same types of turns etc. The hype blurbs for these long arm kits in the catalogs swear that they ride and steer better than stock and are more stable on highways.

So I don't know what I should do. The worst case scenario for me would be to spend craploads of cash being a macho "my Jeep's bigger than yours" a-hole only to have my rear end go out or my transmission trashed 2 months down the road. Middle scenario would be to save a little cash, not be so childish and get a respectable 4" lift, have mild wear and tear, and go big and bad when my baby is paid for and I have alternative transportation. Best case scenario would be to still be a macho chump, spend a big wad on the 6" long arm kit, and have normal wear and tear and a fantastic looking and riding 4 wheel machine.

Which of these scenarios is the most realistic? Help a chump like me out! Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance, and God bless Jeep and their products.

LOL God I love an honest person. :lol: I can't offer you a whole lot of specific advice but I fight some of these same bigger and better feelings every single day. My Jeep is my DD and I am trying hard not to go crazy on it until I pay for the lease and get an economy car that I can depend on to drive daily.

Let's see what the opinions are. Personally, I think middle of the road is better than spending tons of money on a daily driver and then having it tear up or not be easy to maintain.

Lady

Wear and tear wouldn't be so much of an issue for me if I could be pre-emptive (aka if I knew what would be most likely to wear/fail) and get replacement or high performance parts as a kind of preventative maintainence. The money's not the big issue..I've been saving for a while so I could do it right, which is exactly why I've suffered the verbal abuse so long. I could have ran out and got the first cheap lift I came across, but I've been plotting on shutting these guys up properly. :twisted: I really want to make sure those months of abuse aren't wasted on just an average looking/performing Jeep, but then again what good is an exceptional Jeep that's broke down? Thats why I sought out you guys, the real enthusiasts, for the best advice possible.

Get the 6'' long arm kit and some 35'' swampers, pull up next to your friends and tell them their roofs are dirty. :twisted: Everything will always get wear and tear especially if you use it hard. It's just part of the fun. I'm not too sure how the handling and stability is with the long arm kits. What gears do you have right now? What size motor? Gas mileage would decrease.

ya, I would also say get the 6" long arm kit and some 35's. If you just get a 4" lift with 33's, you'll always wish you would have just gone for it and done it right the first time around. If you have been saving the money to do it, then why not?

I have re 5.5long arm 1inch body and 35s 4.56s lockers 4.0 awesome set up still perfect for the road very stable ride like stock and it looks and performs awesome. Flex out like no other if you got the money go for it about 5000 As for milage 15 at best 13 at worst. I drove around for several months without regearing 3.73s and it was okay

pavement ends flip top

Get the 6'' long arm kit and some 35'' swampers, pull up next to your friends and tell them their roofs are dirty.

L-O-frickin-L!! Whats so funny is that I was talkin to one of my boys as I read that and literally busted out laughing. He asked me what was so funny and I told him "I can't tell you now, but I will, and you'll understand when I do". :twisted:

Anyway, my gears are stock and I've got a 4.0L I-6 under the hood. I agree that wear and tear comes with the territory (hell I'm putting plenty of wear and tear on it just driving it daily), but I'm just concerned primarily with major failures that would be directly associated with the extremes of big lifts and tires. I don't want $2000 worth of work to just fall out of the sky when I could have spent $300 on some parts to prevent it. If I knew more about offroad components (or automotive stuff in general) I'd feel a lot more comfy about springing for the big bad stuff. As it is I keep thinking that I'm gonna do the amateur thing and make it pretty on the outside and pretty run down on the inside.

With that much lift, you'll need things like brake line extentions, transfer case drop, slip yoke eliminator, etc. But, that stuff is also usually nessessary with a 4" lift. You'll most likely be braking U-Joints on the rear driveshaft everyonce in a while, but that is no big deal at all (they're about $10).

As for stability, I don't think you'll have to worry about it. Just don't do anything really stupid and you'll never have to worry. Right now I have a total of around 8" of lift, and it never feels like it is going to roll (unless I try to make it go up on two wheels around corners, but that's another story!!)

First off I have a long arm kit and 35's on a 01 TJ. Best investment ever, but I did stay low with 4.5 lift becase I didnt want to get it so high that the wife cant get in...well she got her F-350 now and I am going to 6' soon.
First the long arm kit smooths out those road bumps alot better than those factory short arms "."
Now 35' tires are heck on dana 35's they cant take it at all off roading...looking into upgrading your rear end to a dana 44...lost mine in less than 5 months on the rubicon trail with 35's.
Your 01 comes with ABS on the front giving you a beefier front axle and "U"-joints. The Dana 30 has held up quite fine running 35's.
I did add an steering box stiffener to keep from glaze cracking the drivers side frame rail. Some say you dont need it...well I have it on and love it.
Dont forget to add a steering box skid plate its up there now and vunerable.
you will need to re-gear to 4:10's after adding 35's...most will tell you 4:56's but like you mine is also a daily driver and a weekend worrior. Gas milage? dont ask but if your wanting to keep a decent milage....dont lift it or change your tire size.
As to wear and tear....your adding bigger tires and adding stress to the suspention when you lift it...with carful maintance you should get a full life out of your jeep...I put 300,000 on a Scout II with a SOA and 2"lift.

Since you don't sound so sure about the whole deal, I'll suggest the low-down easy on the wallet option.......A 2.5" suspension lift and a 2" body lift. You still get the 4+ inches of lift, but theres no need for a SYE and expensive driveshaft with that little of a suspension lift, so that money could go towards some gears and a rear locker right now. Put that on a set of aggressive 33" radial mud tires and go whoop up on your buddies egos.

Maybe even use a 2" budget boost instead of the full 2.5" kit to save some money now, and upgrade to a real 4" or 6" susp later when you're ready.

Going "big" is alot more than just a lift and tires. Axles start popping, driveshafts start flying, and normal wear parts become an endless expense. It's one thing after another.

You really have to ask yourself what the real goal is here. Do you want to make your Jeep taller than theirs or do you want to spank theirs on the trails. Lift isn't everything. I don't know what kind of trails you ride, but I have been to Texas and the terrain in most of the places I have been isn't overly wild. What I'm getting at is maybe you should concentrate on a secret weapon instead of spending a lot of bling on a lift. A set of ARB air lockers or other selectable lockers would allow you to keep the on-road performance, and with a mildly agressive set of tires, you could be the big dog on the trails. A locked Jeep at stock height will still spank a moderately lifted Jeep with open diffs.
If you just want it bigger and shinier, than just spend the most you can afford on a lift and set of tires. Usually the quality and completeness of a lift kit is directly proportional to the price.

Wow good stuff all around so far guys. Let me clarify a few things as far as my priorities go.

As far as off-roading is concerned, it's pretty low priority. As I said, I have done and will continue to do some recreational stuff, but I'm not interested in doing anything too serious until the Jeep is completely paid off. I've gone romping with several of my friends, but only one of them is remotely serious about off-roading, and as I said one of them refuses to take his Jeep on anything but mild trails. We're all so busy all of the time that we rarely get an occassion to all go out and romp anyway, and even then we've only had a couple of tow-outs. I do like the potential benefits of the greater articulation of the long arm kit, but I wouldn't be interested in working it out just for the hell of it, at least anytime soon. My view is basically that any situation that would require lockers is not something I should be attempting.

And yes, I am interested in going big for the look as much (maybe more) than the clearance. Call me childish, but come on. It's like if a guy tells you he works out strictly because he wants to be in good physical condition, he's lying. Everyone would like to look as good as they possibly can, just like with an unlimited budget every one of you would go as big as you could without jeopardizing your Jeep's performance.

So basically when I talk about "wear and tear" with the 6" long arm and 35"s, I'm talking about 95% conventional road/highway driving. So to those of you who referenced broken U-joints and popping axles, if you're talking about that kind of wear with just regular daily driving, I'd have genuine reservations. If you're talking about that kind of wear from stomping creekbeds on weekends, then I wouldn't be as concerned.

Lockers are in my future, as are an intake system, exhaust, winch etc etc. But that stuff will come as I get close to paying it off. As things are right now, if already had lift & tires, I'd take a beefed up stereo and an alarm kit before I got lockers simply because I'd be doing a lot more Joe Blow driving than Johnny Mudhole stomping.

So with that in mind, to those who've contributed (and obviously most of you are far deeper into the off-road scene than myself at the moment), do you think that I'd be safe getting the lift & tires and not have to fear for major repairs from doing mostly highway driving? I mean I would slap a Dana 44 on the rear end as a preventative measure, and whatever else was practical for the stress of the larger tires, but I don't want to have to buy a new transfer case, transmission, alternator, windshield wipers and seat covers just to "go big".

I want the introductory "big" look with uncompromised daily driving performance, and as low a wear as possible...from there I'll work my way into the required off-road necessities. Is that reasonable? Or should I just keep saving and go straight from stock schmuck to 4-wheel badass?

The more opinions I get the less I know what I want to do...:shock:

but I don't want to have to buy a new transfer case, transmission, alternator, windshield wipers and seat covers just to "go big".
Why would you need new windshield wipers and seat covers if you lifted it 2 inches higher? hahaha.

If you ask me, I think you've already made up your mind. Now get off the computer and go order your 6'' kit and 35'' boggers.

Personally, the only thing I say you would have to worry about is the Rear Axle, IF you are running a D35. I choose to stay low. I worked on my Articulation and stayed with a 2" lift and 31's there isn't much a 35" tire can make that I can't Zig-zag through.

get your longarm, get your SYE and go big. your whole suspension will be replaced with parts that are made for the lift and anything that will "wear" will be normal wear anyway, like bearings, blah blah blah. you know what I mean if you have ever greased a rig.

I would have to say do the lift and tires...but save like mad! The stock Dana 35 will not take 35" tires off roading. Driving on the highway it will last a long time.
Save like mad and do the dana 44 and re-gear the 30 at the same time later when your ready.

deal on a great kit (includes shocks and free shipping):
http://jeepinoutfitters.com/products.asp?ID=148

I would say a lift like that one and a set of 35's would neccessitate a SYE and re-gearing. Those big tires will play hell on your transmission with stock gears - especially with alot of highway driving. If you can't afford to re-gear at the time of install, I would do it asap.

Go with the long arm kit and 35's. You can upgrade to a dana 44 later.
Are 33's those little doughnut tires you use when you get a flat?

Back