Need advice for 92 Cherokee Sport

I have a 92 Cherokee sport 6 cyl automatic trans.
I don't have many problems with it besides electrical nature starting problems.

Over 5 year period I have replaced 3 batteries and 3 starters. The last battery that I had to replace was from very cold weather seemed to kill the battery and it would no longer take a charge.

The starter problems would begin with a no start but just clicking sound.

I was not having any issues for a while since I replaced the last battery a few months ago but one time when I got gas I had a strange problem. After putting gas in the tank and then trying to start the vehicle it would not start. There was no clicking sound like a starter solenoid but I did notice that the temp gauge went all the way up to the max. I waited a bit and tried again and it made the sound like trying to start slow then the next try it turned over fine. The temp gauge acted normal again.

I had no problems for months as I noticed in the past when a starter we going bad with similar symptoms as above it would just get worse until I could not start it at all. But after that time at the gas pump the starting acted fine.

Just the other day I got gas and when I went to start it I had the same thing happen as last time at the gas pump where it acted strange. A second try and it started right up.

I got home and the next day when I tried to start it I got a one click sound coming from down around the starter. The next day I tried tapping on the starter/solenoid with a board and then tried starting and again click sound or nothing. I tried a 3rd time and it seemed to want to turn over slow. The next try it started right up normally.

I got the vehicle to a friends house to work on and have not tried it since. Before we do anything else I wanted to see if someone can shed some light on this subject.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Jim

I would check negative battery cable at the block connection where it bolts to the block under the ignition coil. The bolts seam to get loose alot and will reek havoc. If you clean it and tighten you just mite solve your problem.. No promises though, Good luck.

What he said..... Replace the cables and terminals. Many times the negative cable will get corrosion inside the jacket. Should fix your problem....

Hi,

I'm not sure how it works in the 92, is there a relay for the starter or is it connected to the switch?
If there is no relay, you may want to add one, and then check the "click issue" again.
Maybe the problem is not the battery but the old wiring to the starter.
Saar.

check neutral safety switch..... next time it does not start in park try it in neutral I had that same intermittent type of problem with my 93

Back