Need carb help

Knuts311

Hey guys, I need some help. I bought a new Motorcraft 2150 with electric choke from Gronk last week, and can not for the life of me get it running right. It is replacing a Carter on a 90? 258 and with the exception of a fatal deadspot half way into the throttle it was running good. I've replaced: plugs, wires, cap and button, fuel pump, oil pressure sending unit, EGR valve, PCV valve, all vac lines, fuel filter and lines, as well as dumped the old gas and replaced with non-ethanol gas. The problem I'm having is a bad miss on idle and when revving (sometimes it clears up when revving at higher rpm, but it's hit or miss), extremely rich smell in the exhaust, black smoke, and the float bowl almost immediately empties itself when shut off. I've opened the airhorn and poured gas into the float bowl and it all drains out in about 15-20 seconds. I have also spayed the entire area with both carb cleaner and ether with no change so I don't "think" it's a vacuum issue. I dont even know where else to start looking to get these issues resolved...

the bowl empties out when you turn the jeep off? where is it going? sounds like into the engine since its running so rich.

It appears to be draining from the bottom of the bowl into the intake.no visible scratches or cracks inside the bowl or the body. Could it be a blown power valve? It's never backfired.

Sounds like a needle and seat problem and maybe the wrong jet size. I would Check the float level. And see if needle and seat are working proper. Make sure a gasket is not torn for the metering block. Lots can cause those problems.

I've pulled the float it appears ok needle and seat are both spotless checked 3 times. I'll check the metering block gasket.

Could be. I would. I go through brand new carbs I buy. Had lots of problems on my big race carbs right outta the box.

Jester as I understand it, there are several rebuild kits available for the 2150, any recommendations on which one to go with?

I got it! Thanks for all the help Jester. It turned out to be the power valve, it looked like it was missing parts.

Back