Need help getting my CJ7 right

I am trying to get the performance back in my CJ. I have rebuilt the motor, removed all emission stuff as well as the computer. I have a new carb w/o stepper motor, and the distributor is tied into the ignition module directly. It will run fine and starts great but on the road in 4th gear after about 60 mph the power falls off and the more throttle you apply the worse it gets. When I back off the engine comes back but it acts like it hits a limiter. I have set the timing at about 19 BTDC and the advance works to provide about 20 more degrees as rpm builds. it still has the stock distributor but all new guts. The ign module is new as is the carb. I think I have the vac adv conected right but am not sure. i am not connected below the carb but in to a nipple on the left side toward the head in the middle of the carb body. when I connect the dist port to the port below the carb body on the manifold rpm increases a lot.
I just don't trust it to drive to work yet.
Thanks

Try connecting the distributor advance to the second line you mentioned (below the card body) and set the initial timing at 10 degrees before TDC, make sure to set the initial timing with the vacuum advance disconnected and the Jeep at idle.

I had the timing set at 9 and it still had the problem. If I move the vac line won't that off set the mech advance as that point has a hard vac at idle that drops off as you put you foot in it.

What your trying to achieve is to set the timing without any advance from the distributor. As Carl has stated, disconnect the vac. advance from the carb., plug that port on the carburator so that there's no vac. leak as you set the timing at idle..After setting the timing, find the vac. source from the base of the carburator that has no or little vac. at idle but increases at higher rpm's. If you have a stock set up, i think the vac. source is on the manifold switch by the thermostat housing..

thanks that confirms everything everything else. now I will search for a port layout of the bdd card as the port at the bottom has high vac at idle.
Thanks again.

8) Thanks everyone, I found what was wrong, Vac leaks and timing not perfect. I guess that an old CJ is not a freeway flyer anyway. I now will see what I get for milage. All it needs now is paint and a little patching.

Back