Newbie...saying hey, getting some recommendations...

CalebJns

Ok guys, Just picked up my 2nd Jeep Grand Cherokee...First one was a Red 1998 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2WD, straight 6, for the most part stock...removed the CAT, and had a straight pipe running to Flowmaster 40 series muffler...sounded mean...it ended up tiring out on me with just a little over 300,000 miles on it...engine blew less than 5 miles from the house...it was a sad day. I have missed it over the last 2 years. Didn't have the time or $$$ to fix the engine, so I traded it in to a local used car lot, who parted it out...they gave me $1,200 and came to the house and towed it away, after letting me get off it, what I wanted, tow package, headlights (I had installed the HID lights)...

So I have been wanting another one to use for work...I'm a Children's Minister, so Hospital Visits, Home Visits, etc...I have a '78 F100 SWB, that I've tinkered with...351W, C6 transmission, performance cam, Edelbrock Intake, and 4bbl Carb...no AC, so Summer months in Alabama is needless to say HOT...so the hunt began...

Ran across Grand Cherokee Laredo #2! Found a sweet deal last week...Found a '99 Grand Cherokee Laredo, 4.0 Straight 6, 2WD, Black in Color. Guys was asking $1800, Jeep has 220,000 miles on it, needed a starter. Talked with the guy, ended up settling on $800. Bought a starter from Advanced, took it with me, and within 15 minutes had the old off and new on...then it took me 45 minutes to get the battery out...stinking bolt was stripped, ended up having to brake the black piece that held the battery down...dropped a new battery in, and it fired right up...drove it straight home, over an hour, ran great. Got it Titled and Tagged today. Total investment just over $1,000...Guy had every single documented service, repair, etc.

Now for the questions / recommendations...
1. Map Lights...mine just has the two map lights, and the display. How do change the bulbs. I have removed the single screw in the front, but I can't get it loose...the lights are blown and I would like to replace them...
2. Probably more pressing than the lights...Driver side...while driving has a rough sounding constant noise...it's not as noticeable at slower speeds, primarily around 55-70 mph...brakes were replaced at the first of 2011...tread pattern on the tires looks even, and doesn't appear to be uneven...not sure what it might be...
3. Best place to purchase hood, rear glass, and rear door shocks? All 6 of them are done...they won't stay up...

For now, that's what I got...any help, suggestions, or comments are appreciated...

Glad to be back in the Jeep Community!

Attachments

• Photo Oct 03, 11 43 03 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 03, 11 43 03 PM.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 199
  • Photo Oct 03, 11 51 32 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 03, 11 51 32 PM.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 151
  • Photo Oct 03, 11 51 38 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 03, 11 51 38 PM.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Photo Oct 03, 11 55 40 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 03, 11 55 40 PM.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 149
  • Photo Oct 04, 5 11 17 PM.jpg
    Photo Oct 04, 5 11 17 PM.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 217

Thanks...

The sound seems to increase with sound...looked and didn't notice anything obvious rubbing the tire...the brakes will need to be changed soon (with a few months)...could it be the bearings?

Back