:o four wheel drive croaked off.

danthedent

So I was already having problems with my 99 xj. The 4 wheel low was not working as in when I put it in four low and throw it in neutral nothing happens. However my four high part time was working fine except for that the light that says part time wouldn't come on. So that was about 2 moths ago when I noticed my 4 low was not working. Now my part time isn't working :O. Could I need more fluid or something not very knowledgeable about my jeep yet. So what is happening now is when I shift it into the 4 part time it doesn't even try to go in like change at all it just stays in 2wd and slides too easily into where 4 high is. Another thing I noticed is when I try to put it into 4 low from neutral it stays in the neutral. Like none of my gears even try to go like how it used to if I tried putting it in gear on 4 low. Sorry for the long paragraph just trying to make it clear haha
And my front right u joint is broken.
And Greg a haven't tried that adjustment yet

Hey Dan , good to,hear from you , but sorry it is under less than favorable terms. Yeah , those front drive u-joints are usually non-grease able so they just eventually spit red dust and , as you said , croak. As you can imagine , both u-joints will have to be done together . When I did mine , one was still hanging in there , the other (the right) bit the dust. Every thing is always done in pairs , or sets. Calipers, wheel cylinders , u-joints ,etc. , you get the idea. Always best that way , to me, it's the only way. You could try checking t-case level, but wondering how you did on the inspection ? Was it that involved as far as engine , trans, t-case , u-joints , etc.? About $50 for both joints , but you need a heavy press , twelve-point socket to crack the front wheel bearings from steering knuckle , if you get into it , we'll get you through . Will advise what tools and stuff. Terry Mason has a real nice thread on ball joints , it is the same job minus the ball joints with regards to tear down . If your jeep has this kind of wear , ball joint inspection is a good idea .
the linkage adjustment can wait until the u-joints are sorted out and t-case level or flush is done.
One thing at a time , Dan, you'll get her up and running . Check out Terry's thread , really very informative. Very helpful. With the right tools (not even that much , really) you can do it.
Let us know how things go when you can, one step at a time , it will get done. Consult us , we're always here . Just give us a shout ! Thanks Dan, best to ya ! Greg92jeepxj

Not to confuse you Dan , but I think you mean from two wheel high to four wheel high , neutral and to. Four wheel low as you have the command trac transfer case . Part-time and full-time are the selec trac transfer case . Your five speed is mated to an NP 231 t-case. If ever you go to a parts store to get parts , it a good idea to have your VIN# on hand , that should help a good counter person to positively I.D. Your jeep . Once the u-joints are done and t-case up to level ( flush a good idea) , the adjustment can be checked. Let us know what your diving into and will help advise. Don't be like me, wear gloves . That's why the emergency rooms hate me. Haven't been to one in years for stitches , trying to keep it that way. Learn from me. If you can go through life without scars (even though girls love that stuff) , your better off.
oh yeah , consult the good doctor Bounty_Hunter for his recommendation of transfer case fluid , he knows the best stuff out there to make your t-case live longer .

Last edited:
Greg I'm at work right now so this won't be an in depth response . My four wheel on my last car would have a part time light come on for 4 high pretty sure it's the same t case. When I said from 4 low throw it in neutral I meant like my gears. That u joint is gonna be fixed by next week hopeful my buddies dad said he would do it. As for the 4 wheel I may try and conquer that. My inspection did not go so well. Every thing is great with the car. However my transmission is soon to be gone....And it just occurred to me but that may of been why my four low wasn't working. The guy said that something called like syncroids or something like have broke and are now in my transmition fluid. The suggested I drop the 2k when it gets to the point where I have to turn my car off to get it in gear but I gotta get back to work.

Real nice of your friends Dad to help, remember him Sunday , I know you will .
well, if the 5-speed must be removed for inspection , the t-case can be looked at then too ?
Hey Dan ? I know you are busy most times , but when you can , can you run your VIN number on the VIN decoder in the search bar on top of the page ? Want to see if your drivetrain is listed , what transfer case and what transmission. I believe you have the NP231 t-case and want to know what 5-speed you got. Might just be better to start searching for a good used AX15 5-speed. If it came with a good t-case for a good price for ya, that could be a blessing. We'll, hang in there , be hoping for good news soon. Thank you for your posts and no rush on this stuff I mentioned , when you can. Don't know how money is for ya, never really good for many folks, if it was , I would have new rocker panels and fix my r/r quarter panel. I know the feeling. Just trying to figure what will make best sense financially. Thanks for your posts Dan, hope to hear good news soonest . Happy Fathers Day to all .

Gonna run my vin when I get back to my car but as for the transmission I gonna wait until that is completely gone. I would like to fix my four wheel soon however mainly because I'm going on vacation and will need it to drive on the sand. So I would like that to be fixed before the transmission. Gonna have my buddies dad also look at the t case see if he can see what I need to be done. He's been a machanic for over 30 year so hopefully he can help also

Excellent Dan, i think it's great that his dad can help . Feel better for ya since your just getting into jeeps and getting familiar with them mechanically and need a little help on them. I have full faith in his dad that he will find what's up with any part of the cherokee that needs to be addressed . Wondering his opinion on your trans , does he think it's better to rebuild with synchronizer and parts , or just keep shopping for a good used trans and swap it in ?
Thanks Dan , all is going better already . Don't forget your gloves , his dad will have ya getting your hands dirty soon !

Back