Oldest son wants a Jeep for first vehicle

Allie

My oldest son Mikey wants a Jeep for his first vehicle,he is 15 years old and in driver's training.He said I was the one whom got him into liking Jeeps.Will be 16 next year and knows he will have to find a job to pay for gas.Said he wants a Wrangler or a Cherokee as a starter vehicle.Mikey is doing good so,only thing he has to improve on is using the turn signals.I don't want him in a Wrangler yet and my husband agrees with me,said the Cherokee is the way to go_Opinions on this?I am looking at getting him a Cherokee and know he will be happy.

I'd say a Cherokee would be an excelent choice. I had an 88 an it was prob the most dependable vehical I've ever owned. I really like the 4.0 engine and parts for them are reasonable. The kids got good taste, at least he's not interested it a lowered honda civic with a fart pipe.

He is not into lowered cars,said they are boring.I am going to teach him how to change the oil and take care of it to teach him responsibility.Also teach him about the gauges,this is what most kids these days ignore in a vehicle.

My family has four jeeps two cherokees both 2000s a 2008 grand for mom and a 94 wrangler for my older son. ( I am not allowed to park my company car in front of my house- its a Ford) I would recommend a Cherokee. my older son loves his wrangler but always says if he was to to it again he would buy a cherokee.

It is funny, but everyone here recommends a Cherokee. I guess I should play devils advocate and say, "just say no to the Cherokee."
A wrangler is space restricting, no room for a fancy 1 million dollar stereo system, limited room for the 'gang' to ride in. less friends in the jeep less people to distract the driver. A solid frame and upgradeable bumpers to go 1x5 solid steel oops I just backed into the wall things. A good start on the roll cage, add in rocker knockers, steel corner wraps and its a frigging tank on rubber wheels. Oh and add in bigger tires without a gear change...speeding tickets?!? haha right he would be lucky to hit 55mph down hill with a stiff tail wind.

It is funny, but everyone here recommends a Cherokee. I guess I should play devils advocate and say, "just say no to the Cherokee."
A wrangler is space restricting, no room for a fancy 1 million dollar stereo system, limited room for the 'gang' to ride in. less friends in the jeep less people to distract the driver. A solid frame and upgradeable bumpers to go 1x5 solid steel oops I just backed into the wall things. A good start on the roll cage, add in rocker knockers, steel corner wraps and its a frigging tank on rubber wheels. Oh and add in bigger tires without a gear change...speeding tickets?!? haha right he would be lucky to hit 55mph down hill with a stiff tail wind.

I agree!

I agree as well with the wrangler, n I have rolled a jeep on pavement before, with the roll cage and seat belt there were no injuries and barly any to the jeep(had to replace a leafspring). Il take a boxy jeep with a real frame anyday over a unit body and no cage(Cherokee). Im not downing the Cherokee I just believe the cj,s, wrangler and tj,s are far more structurally stronger (crashes). They will roll easier if you take sharp curves like a race car, and with a young driver that would be my main concern, but if he does do that he will be safer in the smaller boxier jeeps with their full frames and cages. Just preach, preach, preach it,s not a race car and don't drive it that way. I feel the safest in my boxy jeep over anything else I have owned, like said above "Their friggin tanks on wheels". Oh, the off roading community knows this and for offroading, it recommended to use frame stiffeners on the Cherokee because of their structural weakness. Their seems to be a lot of transmission issues with certain year Cherokee,s as well, Ill probably get hate mail for this one, lol.

Last edited:
It depends on what kind of driving he'll be doing. If its high speed freeways to school, then the Cherokee is the way to go. If its slower streets and roads, then either should suffice. A lot of safety comes down to the driver and not the vehicle. That said, if he goes with the Wrangler, then make sure it has the full cage, working seat belts, etc.

Want to limit the "gang" riding with him? Split the difference and find a Comanche pickup!

Then he'll be stacking them in there like logs, with just enough room for the keg. Get the wrangler.

Made up his mind finally said he wants a Cherokee.Mikey is going to work when he does get a job next year and back home.Out with friends too.I told him no stereo equipment yet,chance for a break in and that stuff is stolen real easy

Back