Problems with Heater

tp=n=yj said:
remove radiator cap .start engine let run til warm .have someone step on gas a little.this causes antifreeze to go to heater core.thats why you get heat when you drive.you will see ratiator will be low add antifreeze while steping on gas petal . then put cap back on. you will have heat now:Dinjoy

Yea I was going to say... Sounds like your leaking antifreeze or something if it goes cold at an idle and works when in movement. Also explains why it's heating up more then usual.

Yeah now its just plain overheating to the point where the needle is buried and I don't feel safe driving it. Maybe just a radiator leak or something?

Yeah now its just plain overheating to the point where the needle is buried and I don't feel safe driving it. Maybe just a radiator leak or something?

Did you ever flush the radiator and heater block?? Or what have your doen to try to correct this?

I wouldn't drive it overheating like that or your headed for engine replacement.

Well, I found the problem I think. My radiator is leaking hardcore. I pulled into work today, shut off my engine and steam just started dumping out of my engine compartment. Popped the hood and wouldn't you know it, the whole front top side of the radiator is gushing steam. At least I know what's wrong haha.

Probably not the best idea to hAve been driving it if it overheats... Shouldn't have taken that long to find a gushing leak in the radiator

It wasn't gushing at all until that point. Yesterday I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought a new radiator to replace the leaking one and oh happy day! My Jeep is as good an new now, including the heater! Thank you guys so much for all of your help and suggestions.

Back