Proud New Jeep Owner, Now What?

It depends what your end goal is-- Like i said i did the cat back system and it made a big difference-- It was easy to do (3 hours in the driveway) and inexpensive ($350). Without emmissions testing you could swap out your exhaust manifold for a header and either eliminate your cat or switch it for a high flow-- this will be more expensive though and rquire more time/knowledge to install. Also, I have heard from some people that if you reduce the backpressure too much (by eliminating the cat) that the engine will actually run worse. I have never tried it myself, however, so i dont know for sure. [addsig]

Hey 99 sorry for the late responce.... but about wheelin with tug ......go for it. Tug is a great guy, the nicest ive ever met and he will learn you good! There is plenty of places to go in a stock jeep.....youd be surprised what a stocker can do!! But no matter what they tell you about ''no business'' go on it .....personally i think it is the best trail there along with dixie creek! I learned more in that week then i did in a year of school...lol.. it was the funnest week of my life. Tug is the best man to see about learning to offroad, hes like an offroad bible. And about the hand throttle.....it was a ten dollar mod that is priceless. It works wonders offroad....it works as a cruise control and a third foot! :lol: oh ....and make sure you plan on being there for trail week next year!

~~CHRIS~~ [addsig]

I dont think anyone means to dodge your question, only to be helpful.

Most of us that have done those mods have been disappointed at the returns for the expense. Is there a difference, sure. How much of that difference is placebo? I dont know, I think I feel a difference but it's not as much as I thought I'd get.

The throttle body feels like a huge difference. The problem with the TB is that it will make the jeep really responsive--especially in 1st gear. I mean like jumpy even. You get used to it and ultimately I drive now with a much lighter foot in parking lots and such. I didnt notice a mileage change with the K&N, RE TB, and catback. It sounds nice though. If I had it to do over again I think I would follow Tug & cmoore's recommendations.

Best wishes in whatever you end up doing and let us know how it turns out for you.[addsig]

Other things i've considered doing is adding a jet performance chip (www.jetchip.com), and a 180 degree thermostat

Wouldnt the colder t-stat confuse the ecu into thinking the engine is still cold? There by running the mix too rich? Are you thinking of telling JET to have the chip compensate for this when they program it? What about running an oil cooler instead?[addsig]

If you do put a header on it let me know if your want to sell your stock exhaust manifold. Welcome to the board.[addsig]

Wouldnt the colder t-stat confuse the ecu into thinking the engine is still cold? There by running the mix too rich? Are you thinking of telling JET to have the chip compensate for this when they program it? What about running an oil cooler instead?

Changing the thermostat wouldn't confuse the ecu, it would provide for more cooling and therefore actually lower the temperature of the engine. Just like the thermostat on your AC at home, if you set it at 70 then it makes the temp in the house 70 degrees-- if you set it at 65 it makes the temp in the house 65.
Jet actually recommends that you install a 180 thermostat if you use one of their stage 2 chips.[addsig]

So you wanna put a system in that there TJ. well the possibilities are endless. I have had three different systems in my YJ and each being better than the one before it. It is not neccesary to lift the rear seat. My seat in in the factoe possition and I have a 600x4, 700x1, 250x2 (all fosgate) and a full farad under my rear seat and it is not lifted. I run a kicker 12 inch dual voice coil 2 ohm L7 sub run in series in a down firing set up. I can sketch out some diagrams on the basic design but I don't have the TJ measurements.

Johnny[addsig]

Back