Should I buy another Jeep?

JeepMonkey

A '52 Willys Overland pick-up to be exact! It was recently painted, but it was a MAACO paint job. Not bad for a Jeep, but I wouldn't want to pay more just because it has this new paint job. I think it has a Chevy small block in it, but the underside is covered in oil. This isn't a big deal again because I have a pretty sweet, almost new bored & stroked small block with a computer controlled Edlebrock FI system on it. I also have a 700r4 auto that would probably squeeze in there without too much effort. The sign in the window says $9500. The interior seems to be in good shape and one side window is cracked. I haven't talked to the owner yet. I have heard it running one morning when I was on my way to work he was warming it up. It sounds strong, but that could be the new turbo mufflers on it.

What do ya'll think? This has been one of my dream rides for a long time. I'm thinking about going by and offering $8000 depending on what he tells me. The tires look to be pretty new and the suspension seems stock with the exception of Rancho 5000's. Maybe a little lift, but I can't tell.

This has been one of my dream rides for a long time.

It's only money :0 Buy it if you like it!

Sounds kinda high to me - if you don't care about the drivetrain. I've been lookin' quite a while for an old Willys wagon, and for that price, I've seen some ready to roll with very little cosmetic needs. I truly understand your desire ("dream ride")..........I've got the same for the wagon. But I think I'd look around a bit if I were you......I think you can do better. Just my 2 cents.................worth about 2 cents. Post pics whatever you do!!!!!!

:edit: Just noticed you're in Cali!!! You could DEFINITELY do better if you're planning on replacing the drivetrain anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah I think it's a little too high also. I drove by tonight but the guy wasn't home. What I'm most concerned with is the suspension, axles and frame. If they're all in good condition I'm going to try and talk him down a bit. There is one for sale on Craigslist here for $800, but it's just rolling chassis and body. This one for $9500 is a driver.

Sounds real high unless it's in show condition. IMO, if you have a small block and transmission, then all you need is a rolling chassis. It would be a fun project to strip down that old chassis anyway. then clean it, paint it and put it all back together.

Sometimes guys shoot high on asking prices to keep kids and tire kickers away. Offer him what it is worth to you. If he takes it, great! If not, leave him your # if he changes his mind.

I'd love to follow your progress on that rig:!:

I've decided not to get it now. I just don't want to get myself in over my head financially. PLus, there are a lot of trucks like that on craigslist here for much less and I'm sure there will be when I decide again that it's time to buy. With the way I change my mind that shouldn't be too far off!

I've decided not to get it now. I just don't want to get myself in over my head financially. PLus, there are a lot of trucks like that on craigslist here for much less and I'm sure there will be when I decide again that it's time to buy. With the way I change my mind that shouldn't be too far off!

sounds like a good choice, pass on this one

Back