Spring Creek Trail - First Run!

cewtwo

TMYJ-1.jpg

The Mighty YJ – About to take on Spring Creek (aka Family Fun).

It is the bare start of the trail season in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. A lot of people and rigs met up (through a local bulletin board) to do a run opening the Spring Creek Trail. Spring Creek is a trail with a reputation. It is known best for the Rock Garden. Why is it called, the Rock Garden? Because everytime a rig runs through it, the rocks – of all sizes – can get replanted in a new place! That can make for a new line everytime you run it AND it can be different from the similar rig that ran it just before you take it on!

We started with 23-24 rigs. Travel was quick for the size of the group and kept going at a good pace. I was near the back.

The first obstacle is located near the bottom of the trail. A lot of rigs like to challenge themselves here!
BluYJ-1.jpg

This is the view of the town of Empire, Colorado and the valley it is located in. This was taken from about halfway up the mountain.
Empire-1.jpg

As is often true with runs of this size, it will break down into several groups of like sized and configured rigs. I ended up in a group of 5 rigs.
FinalFive-1.jpg

Why did I call it “Opening the trail?” These are the Rocky Mountains and we were hit fairly hard with snow and snow levels this year. People have been working at this trail (which is usually open year-round). Our group was determined to open it.

A buggy with 40” tires (link will take you off-site).
SnowWrangler-1.jpg

A built YJ takes it on.

This trail is about 4.5 miles long. It took 5+ hours to complete it. Everyone wanted their chance at the Rock Garden. I was no exception. Here are some of the people waiting for their turn.
TrailGroup-1.jpg

I drove the Rock Garden. At one point, the transfer case got caught on a boulder and spun the Jeep around. It was very high centered when it stopped. I tried to drive out, but had to winch to the nearest tree. That and a little drive train encouragement, and the Mighty YJ was free again!

Past the Rock Garden, Friend Justin found his rig in an amorous encounter with a tree branch. Somehow his back axle and this branch found a way to get tangled. It was caught in time, though, and the branch was extricated before the brake line busted. A nylon tie put the brake line back in place.
EvilRoot-1.jpg

After Spring Creek, our group made their way down the Saxon Road trail system to Ute Road on the Mount Evans highway. Along the way, we cleared the trail of a fallen tree that was blocking the trail. Others opted to go around, but that encourages trail and environmental damage. We pulled the tree off and to the side of the trail.
TreeTrail-1.jpg

It was a great day and a great way to spend it! Everyone had a lot of fun!

Carnage? A tire was changed in the Rock Garden (took the valve stem and pulled it out on a rock). On the way up one rig broke linkage, and another blew their turbo up. Several rigs reported minor, easily repairable damage. Me? More paint removed from the armored underbelly of the Mighty YJ!

:( aahhh man! That looks like a fun run. Sorry I missed it. Glad you folks made it out with minimal damage.

Back