TFI (Ford) ignition for CJ

PaRidgeRunner

I completed the TFI upgrade on my 1980 CJ7 last year and all seemed well for a few months. But after a trip off-road and a few small trips back and forth to work the vehicle (258 six-cyl) stopped running. Now there is no spark to the plugs, although there is spark to the distributor. Also the bowl in the carb was dry and I have replaced the fuel pump. I'm concerned that either the crankshaft is not turning which could be that the timing chain disengaged (but it is only two years old) or the small gear at bottom of dist. is disengaged. Any thoughts of what I can do next? I would hate to start wrenching on the front end if not necessary. :-? [addsig]

If you turn it over with the cap off and can see the rotor turn, seems like the dist gear should still be there. Make sure you haven't lost ground to your dist. Had that happen on a tractor - had a broken bushing inside the dist that was causing it to ground out. Hope this might help. Good luck and keep us posted.

Scott[addsig]

Thanks Scott. I did check ground from battery to the engine block. It is good, clean and tight, but didn't even think about ground at the dist. I suppose this would be a contact through the engine block or bushing prevents ground -out. But what about the lack of fuel to carb? [addsig]

All I can think of to do is to disconnect the fuel line from the carb, turn the enine over and see if you get fuel. If not, remove the fuel filter and see if you get fuel there. If you are getting fuel at the carb disconnect you may have some trash in a jet or something else that is keeping the fuel from flowing. I would start simple and work my way up. It has always been the simple things that have given me the biggest problems. Hope it ends up being something simple with you!

Scott[addsig]

You are absolutely right...many times we make things too difficult! Like an old boss use to tell me "Hey Kid use the KISS principle...that is Keep It Simple, Stupid" !!! :-D [addsig]

Back