timing problem or miss match

Well , I'm no professional mechanic either as I've earned my degree curbside and sometimes in the driveway. But I have read up in the past when LS1 engines were coming out about camshaft dynamics and the engineers experimenting with lobe separation angle to increase longer intake/exhaust close time for more burn time . Intake opens sooner for longer ignition and exhaust opens later to expel more efficient burned fuel charge which had more benefits performance AND emissions wise. Ok , so this engine does in fact have a swapped in cam with these spec's ? First , we need to know if the initial timing at the crank was changed ( advance or retard ) and if the vendor recommended distributor advance or retard and how many teeth from if so to maintain correct firing order . Not certain if this will involve new indexing of the distributor plate if advance or retard distributor gear relationship to cam shaft is involved but will keep that in mind and hoping the cam's vendor will have more info on this. Again , I do not know the cam spec's on stock 4.0's but the CSA ( camshaft separation angle) spec's looked like something I've seen on LS1 spec's .

So next step is flywheel swap or go back to an auto. If I go to an auto then I need custom drive shafts. If I stick with the 5 speed it's out of a 90 Xj so I need to know if clutch parts from 90 will fit 92 flywheel ....or do a cks relocation kit. Which is a better option

The Hesco relocation kit for the Ckp is around $300 . I checked rockauto for parts # for 1990 and 1992 and found same numbers on each year. Please double check me but I believe the 1990 disc and pressure plate ought to bolt up to the 1992 flywheel.

Having a bit if trouble verifying that. Guess I can find a used one to check before I make a decision. Custom drive shafts are way more that I thought so not going that route....

Sorry about all the extra labor . Don't know if you'd like to tear it down to the clutch to compare fit of the '92 flywheel with the pressure plate and disc but according to parts numbers it's supposed to be a fit. I don't see why it wouldn't be but don't blame you at all wanting to be sure. The Ckp relocation is $$ and driveshaft resizing isn't what you really need on a stock swap . As you know , all that is needed is a flywheel that is 12 notch to work with the Chrysler PCM , Ckp and CMP. I do believe the '92 flywheel should go as Long as it meets the criteria. We're as anxious as you are to get the jeep rolling . Your questions are always welcome .
P.S. - for clarification , I looked at 4wheeldrive line hardware's site and under 1992 and 1998 (XJ) I found the the same part number for the flywheel for both years . Knowing your engine is a 1998, I looked it up that way. Didn't bother to check under ZJ since it wasn't necessary. We're interested in the engine , not the body. Didn't wish to complicate it.

Last edited:
well I gotta do what I gotta do right? just need the funds to do it and make a decision as to which route I should take. heres a question...I can get a auto trans and t-case from a 98 zj from a friend for free and he says its an upgrade because of the overdrive....question is is it longer than the stock 92 auto trans...it has next to no miles on it so im tempted....but I think I have to change the computer to use it...not sure on that....just an option I guess.
if its the right length then I might not need fabed drivelines to use it.

Decisions decisions. Sure wish someone would throw a free trans/t-case at me ! Not sure of the dimensions of an aw4 versus a 42re with regards to driveshaft length . As far as PCM swap , that would necessitate a harness swap too but that isn't even necessary for the 4.0 liter swap '92 jeep with '98 engine . Although '98 is OBD2 , there is no reason why the '92 PCM and engine harness cannot be used on the '98 engine. Even if there are little differences like sensor plugs since some may have changed in later model years it's not to the extreme you'd need to swap a PCM . Your concern is emissions testing and inspection that the right emissions and PCM match the right model year if your state mandates it to that degree. But I think that isn't a big issue since you already did the engine swap and it's already plugged and play. The only mod may be which may need research is a TCU harness if trans is different from factory install. Was your '92 a factory manual trans ? If so , THEN there is concern for PCM and engine harness for the TCU. PCM , engine harness and TCU will have to come from the ZJ but this swap will get complicated and I don't know if you want to go this route ? Currently , you've got a good 4.0 , good trans/t-case and shafts are all a match with front and rear differentials , correct ? To my knowledge , currently all that is needed is a flywheel that is 12 notch to satisfy the Chrysler PCM & crank sensor. I fully understand the low to no milage trans & t-case temptation but are you ok with turning the project from an engine swap to modification ? I guess it will depend if you really want auto trans or manual . Of course you only need a flywheel now but to do the trans with t-case is more work. Also, the possible of driveshaft mod for at least the rear is likely . That shouldn't be vey expensive since it involves lengthen or shorten and balance and probably a slip yoke. I was kind of getting used to your manual trans set up but it isn't our jeep so we must let you decide , I guess . Regardless , we support you !

Last edited:
just seen it as another option on the table is all. it was an auto at first and I would not have changed it at all if it was not for having to take it apart in the first place. cold weather cracked the block so it had to come out....then the trans swap followed

I hear you brother. I wouldn't wish all this work on you for anything. Jeep work is good work but that is a slogan to keep us happy and motivated through all the rigor . All in all , I like the fact that all these options exist for you if need be. I feel for you knowing that you've still got to deal with the flywheel swap. Even if it's the cheapest ( I think you said you've got a '92 flywheel around ?) option to swap the flywheel , it's still work. I respect that your trying to get the best bang for your buck with respect to all the labor involved . Still like knowing that the manual trans is installed with no issues except the flywheel. if not for that , all is well I gather.

only place I can find near me that has a flywheel for a 92 is the dealer and they want 480 plus tax for one....thinking the relocation kit is the way to go at this point...just wondering about mud getting in the way and causing problems...or if it would matter. know nothing about them...so let the research on them begin!

We both know the dealers price is over inflated so I'm with you on not getting a flywheel from the dealer. The crank sensor relocation kit involves replacing the existing harmonic balancer with a balancer with the 12 notches that will correspond with the sensor the way the flywheel would . In the kit is a bracket that bolts up to the block to hold the sensor and then of course is the sensor with enough wiring harness to reach the original harness plug . Not knowing anyone who has used one with success or not I couldn't say yay or nay but I'm thinking what if mud got caked up in the notches for instance . That would stop the engine cold due to the sensors inability to read the notches with the mud caked up on it. That's just something that comes to mind. As far as a flywheel , ROCKAUTO for instance as well as other vendors can get you a whole clutch set ( disc , pressure plate , flywheel , pilot bearing and throw out bearing ) for much less than the relocation kit. LUK clutches seem to be the popular replacement for jeeps but I'm sure other brands are worth searching out too. Borg & beck has always been tried and true ( guess they're still around) . Had a Borg & beck on a '78 jeep Cherokee 360 engine ( went many miles ) and had one on a big block Chevy 396 that never let me down. That's to name a few . I know I'm asking you to do the tear down and your the guy who has to scrape his knuckles but when you think about it , it's the right way. Maybe the relocation kit is good as Hesco is supposed to be a good aftermarket company but in the back of my mind , I just think it's possibly a short cut for the right way like using bondo in place of sheet metal . I think you get the idea. These are just my feelings but yeah , we would want research and especially pros and cons and lots of reviews . I'm definately with you on the research. You'll want to know all you can get on the relocation kit and the best clutch kit or maybe just a flywheel if feasible? I haven't forgotten your funds aren't high so research is the key. Sorry this proving to be a chore but I feel your almost there. Rooting for you .

Last edited:

Hey Josh ! Missed you brother ! Yeah , I was hoping that would be all that was to getting your jeep running again ! Great to hear ! I knew the RENIX flywheel wouldn't work with the Chrysler engine management system ( PCM ) so I was hoping you'd be able to get a flywheel in it and keep the manual trans . Really happy for you brother . Sorry for all the extra hard work but real proud you pulled it off and got 'er done ! You are the man ! There still summer weather left , hope you'll enjoy your days in your jeep ! Thank you for the update and wishing you best of luck ! Look forward to your posts and any future plans on jeep projects to come . Thanks .

Last edited:
Back