Transfer case shift linkage

prariepunk

Today, at the off-road park, I lost 4 lo. My transfer case would shift into 2 hi, 4 hi & neutral but no 4 lo, just a spongey feeling in my shifter where 4 lo should be... well, I went to the articulation area to get a good look under the Jeep at the linkage and this is what I found.

20230805_122437.jpg

I'd rather not have to replace the linkage as is ridiculously and needlessly complicated... but I couldn't do anything on the trails but curse my ham hands because I kept finding the exhaust with the back of my wrist... waiting until it cools down then I'm going to see if it came unscrewed (hopefully) or broke 💀

20230805_175807.jpg

I have a similar problem on my TJ. It looks like we have different linkage, but on mine at least, the fact that I have a body lift has changed the geometry. It ends up being "if you can't find it grind it".

I have a similar problem on my TJ. It looks like we have different linkage, but on mine at least, the fact that I have a body lift has changed the geometry. It ends up being "if you can't find it grind it".

Terraflex makes a part to correct it for TJs

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Part of that cable is rubbing on the drive shaft. Not good!!!
Slowly cutting it or swiftly ripping it out.

Never look down on anyone unless you are helping them up - Jesse Jackson

Part of that cable is rubbing on the drive shaft. Not good!!!
Slowly cutting it or swiftly ripping it out.

That's only when I'm trying to shift into 4LO. 2HI/4HI/N don't make the cable bulge out like that. I bought the B&M upgraded cable & bracket... no instructions on the box & limited instructions on the internet.

There's a bracket on the driver's side of the transfer case that I can only undo the lower bolt (and that was a feat in itself). The new bracket moves where the cable attaches further away from the t-case so the stock bracket has to go. I tried undoing the crossmember that cradles the t case to get better access but that didn't work. Instructions are as clear as mud & the help line was a joke. They both told me to "just unbolt it" like the Instructions say to

20230805_122433.jpg

can you put 2 or 3 feet of extension on the ratchet and get it from farther back?

thats how i have to pull the bolts for some bmw bell housing bolts. i lay by the back wheels and feed the extensions up along the driveshaft and upto the top bolts, which are a dang 11mm. what the heck

can you put 2 or 3 feet of extension on the ratchet and get it from farther back?

I'll see what I can do. That top bolt is at the top of the t-case facing front but I'll see if there's another angle of attack.

Back