Transmission trouble from 92 jeep cherokee laredo

redneckjeepman

Transmission trouble!

Hey ya'll, I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4.0 that recently stopped working. The jeep wont move an inch. I've already checked for leaks around the transmission and pan but there were none. I checked the linkage and it all was just fine. I then took of the transmission pan and checked to see if there were any metal shavings to see if a gear had been blown. but there were none. so i replaced the filter and fluid but it still doesnt work. The engine runs just fine except for the RPMs bogging down from 750 (usual idle speed) to 500 rmp in neutral and park. I cant make anything of it so if someone could give me some needed advice. The transfer case for the 4x4 is in good shape too. I really need some help please. Thanks to all that try to help. It has only 179k miles on it.

Last edited:

well. i had work done on the jeep and figured out through lots of research that it was the torque converter. the day that it broke down i must of accidentally screwed up the transmission while in 4x4 but now it is working fine with a used transmission i got from a junkyard. the torque converter snapped off completely from the rest of the transmission even though we checked for metal shavings at the bottom of the transmission fluid pan there were none so it was really confusing but after inspection of it later there were lots of shavings in the front of the transmission i hope others who have the same trouble will get it fixed soon have fun muddin!

Back