Tried to fix my oil leak today...

extra-medium

I went to the Jeep dealership to get the set of o-rings, and found the t60 torq bit at autozone and had new oil and an oil filter so I went to my dads house to use his garage to try and fix the oil filter adapter that is leaking. I took the old filter off and then got the torq bit and a breaker bar. first thing is the breaker bar is a 1/2" drive, and the torq bit is a 3/8" drive. Second there isn't enough room between the unibody frame rail and the oil filter adapter to get the bit in with the ratchet on it. i tried putting the bit in a set of vice grips and no dice, just turned the grips on the outside of the socket. I am thinking next week since I have off from school I am going to take the engine mount on the right side out and jack the motor up a little so there is some more room. Anyone have any suggestion as to what I should do, or just stick with the plan of jacking up the engine?

unbolt the mount and lift the engine. you are right

also give the "chinese" torx bit back and go to sears to get an American made torx.. otherwise, you'll wind up with a worthless torx and a stripped out torx bolt..

also give the "chinese" torx bit back and go to sears to get an American made torx.. otherwise, you'll wind up with a worthless torx and a stripped out torx bolt..

I went to sears and they only had the set of 4 for $40, and I don't want to have to wait for it to be shipped to me. I guess Monday I will be working on this problem again, just making it a bigger project than anticipated.

I had the same problem with my rear track bar bracket. I found that you can slip a wrench over the torx bit and turn it that way.

Like this:
5889d1285101522-jeep-tj-rear-trackbar-bracket-install-05-remove-rear-track-bar.jpg

I like craftsman, but aren't they now made in China as well?

Craftsman tools came under fire in 2004 in a lawsuit accusing Sears of false advertising and consumer fraud for questionable use of the "Made in USA" slogan.
Unfortunately, as of 2012, Craftsman box cutters, hand saws, drill bits, precision pliers, vise grips, hex wrenches, ratcheting wrenches, ratchets, and more are now imported from China. Most Craftsman customers view this as a mistake by Sears, and many refuse to buy the Chinese tools due to the lower quality of Chinese-made tools.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craftsman_(tools)

The one I got from Autozone was 5 bucks with a lifetime warranty. If it breaks they said just bring it back. I think I might have to try the wrench over the bit like the picture, just need to figure a way to put an extension on it so I can reach it from the top or bottom of the motor.

The one I got from Autozone was 5 bucks with a lifetime warranty. If it breaks they said just bring it back. I think I might have to try the wrench over the bit like the picture, just need to figure a way to put an extension on it so I can reach it from the top or bottom of the motor.
Use a section of pipe that the wrench will slide into, backyard mechanics do this stunt all the time. I use a piece of duct tape to hold the wrench into the pipe, that way when you reach down to the bolt from the top the wrench doest fall out of the pipe(been there done that!..lol)

I know the Lisle brand of Torx is not worth a darn. I paid $30.00 for a set and have already rounded off two.
When you go to replace those torx bits with a new set, try buying a set for an impact driver, they are hardened to take the abuse from an air impact driver, and i have yet to even scratch the black finish on mine. I do this with all of my "trail" tools. Nothing worse than working on a project and having a tool break. I know it gets me to say all of those *&^%$#)>...words that you aren't allowed to say on here...lol.

20 years ago I bought a set of craftsmen wrenches thinking they was made in the USA. Got home and got them out of the package,on the back was made in china,I was a little irritated,so this is not a new issue.

I looked at mine closely, they are stamped "Made in the USA"... I would imagine some chinese crap slips in, but if you look at the tool to see where its stamped, that should tell you..

Back