Tub cracked

ultimag

88 YJ-----My tub is cracked at the seams on each side under the tailgate bottom corners and I cannot put my spare on the tailgate rack without it sagging. My plan is to run a 3 1/2" wide by 60" or 66" long diamondplate strap under the tailgate to shore this area up. Will attach this with rivets/bolts. Also this crack runs into each side of the bed at
the bend (90) in the bottom. Plan on mending these cracks with angle
aluminum. Question........does any vendor have this diamondplate strap for sale? I know I can fabricate it, just thought there may be a specialized item(s) for this app. I don't want to get exotic with the
project, I just want something that does the job!

If its not rusted, I would think welding the crack would be best. The cracks will get moisture in them and rust, the diamond plate will trap water and help it rust. I would think welding the cracks would also be cheaper than buying or fabricating the plates. Only problem with welding it, is you will need to sand some of the paint off. I diamond plate to cover the cracks is just a band-aid fix in my opinion.

Swag offroad makes a pannel for that part of the tub, I think Poison Spyder doe stoo, let me search.

But I agreee with 69jeepcj, you need to fix the crack first. lightly grind out the crack going about 1/4" beyond the crack. I also in the past have drilled holes at the end of the crack to prevent further cracking. then weld it up.

Thought about welding (MIG), but thought it may warp the tub......also,
there is some sort of crossmember (square tubing) right behind the cracks
under the tailgate and I don't know if it is part of the tub or the chassis.

Back