Turn signal/bright light switch trouble from 2001 jeep Cherokee 4wd limited

nodakskip

I have a 2001 Jeep Cherokee limited 4wd, with 4 doors. My family has been its only owner.

Since I got it passed down to me from my mom, the lever for the turn signal was sticking. On both right and left turns the light would stay on after the jeep turned and would not shut off automatically so I would have to turn it off manually.This happened about 50% of the time and I got used to it. Well tonight I did some driving and it has added a new problem. When I turn the turn signal on... the brights of the head light come on as well. (since they are on the same lever.) It was easily to stop it from doing that on a left turn, but on a right turn the brights stayed on. I had to hold the lever forward to shut the brights off. It seemed to stop after a bit, then when I stopped and started the car again it would do it all over again. It would behave the same way. The left turn would tun on brights but a tap on the lever would shut off the brights and it would stop turning on the brights when i turned signaled left. But for right turns it would go right back to sticking on the brights as well. And that's not good for city driving.

I have done some quick looking online and the part seems to be a white box with the black brights/turn signal lever attached to it. I am looking for a diagram of the steering wheel to see if this is the right part. If it is, is it hard to change out? Would it cost too much to bring it to a garage or just try it myself? Is this a conman problem for these jeeps?

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

Multi function switched do go bad. It is not a difficult operation. Likely there is a YouTube video or three on how to.

JPNinPA
Using Jeepz.com app

Last edited:
Back