which 3 speed?--sorry its kinda long and rambley

Keith__C

How can I tell which 3 speed is in my 79 CJ? I've tried to find an ID plate but can't locate one. Reverse is to the left and up first is to the left and down. For an Extremely brief 2 hours I owned an 82 CJ7 that I really really scored on (It ran and drove great Very minor rust 258 I6 with 3 speed and Dana 300, new 31" Hankook tires, hardtop and doors, 2" susp. lift and came with an energy suspension 1" body lift/Urethane mount combo that wasn't installed--ALL this for a measely 1K) I was at least able to drive it around the block once before it and my 91 XJ (4.0 HO, Auto (for the Wife) 4.5" long arm kit with front and rear lockers and a slip yoke eliminator, with new 31X10.50's (street)--I had a set of 31X12.50 Mini-Boggers for off-road)) was consumed by fire at Hoover Damn while I was towing it home. (ATTN: Anyone with the 4.0 PLEASE pay attention to your fuel injectors they will leak in the middle of the injector where the 2 halfs of the body meet. At first it will kind of be an I smell gas but where is it coming from as the fuel is evaporated off the intake before combustion can occur, as the leak increases it will run in liquid form off the manifold and onto the exhaust where it is hot enough to cause combustion). I really really miss my XJ :(, Sorry I've had a couple drinks and was looking through some old photos. I'll put some pics Up of the XJ and CJ if anyone wants to see. Either way my original purpose was to figure out what transmission is in my 79 HOWEVER I think this drivetrain has been swapped in from an earlier model Jeep as my CJ was supposed to come equipped with a 258 according to the VIN and core support sticker. It is a 304/3 speed/dana 18, not a Dana 20 which is why I'm thinking its an early setup. I'm contemplating Not doing a full Ford drivetrain swap as of yet, MY budget has dried up, between trying to flip an 89 Bronco for extra play cash and a SAS on my 87 4-runner (both of which are for Sale if you know anyone interested--1 interesting bit of info is the 4-runner and Bronco have the exact same wheelbase. But am now thinking of just doing a quick re-ring of the 304 to stop it from billowing smoke from every orifice, although I still will be swapping in my T-18 if I can find a very inexpensive way of connecting my transfercase to it. (kind of the main reason I was going to swap to all ford as I already have a complete drivetrain I could swap in. I always thought it Funny as the "Weak" you need to replace this stuff components from my Bronco was considered a bulletproof upgrade for a Jeep but I guess when you are talking a vehicle that weights 2K pounds Vs one that weighs 6K pounds that plays a big role.

Is the rear axle pumpkin in your CJ offset or is it centered? If the Spicer 18 was swapped in for the Dana 20 the rear end would have needed to be done too unless the drive line was lengthened and set at an angle . A stock 1979 CJ5 will be a T150. The good news is if the bell housing is original you have both the Ford butterfly pattern for the T-150 and the CJ T18 bolt holes already drilled and tapped so no matter which T-18 you use (CJ or Ford) you're good to go.

Back