whoa... that sumbetch is acting up

Snitty

we've got a driveline problem... a few days ago, while driving to a job, i noticed a strange unfamiliar noise. the only way i can describe it is... well... it sounded like someone was flipping a box of paper clips over and over... it progressed with rpm, and would not do it when shifting, while the clutch was in... using the great human gifts of logic and reasoning, I am led to assume that it is a torque induced noice... while at rest, high or low rpm, clutch in or out, no noise... when accelerating, there she blows... when coasting, shifting, or decelerating, no noise.
... it stopped for 2 days, then last night, I was haunted with it again. this time, it was accompanied with a small amount of an audible vibration/clunking... I decided to grab the mag light and take a look...
... well... to my surprise, my driver rear shock mount was snapped off and the shock was hanging there... I did notice it looked damaged when I was installing my new leafs, but didn't look dangerous. i noticed NO ride difference due to that though, that was strange.. that is not a big concern to me really because I plan on replacing the axle soon here.
... back to the noise... the driveshaft looked fine, pinion yoke was good and solid, output yoke and shaft were good and solid... I can't quite figure it out. I am thinking, because it is acting like a torque induced problem, that it could be a bad universal joint... I did notice some noises quite similar to the one I got when my front wheel joints went dry... so, soon here, I will be upgrading the driveshaft anyway... while i'm at it, I'll check my diff gears and fill my Tcase... process of elimination shall be my hero, and my wallet shall be the victim.[addsig]

Laws me Snitty, I know if you are unable to figure it out that there is no reason for me to try. I am hopeing you have it nailed down by now. Could it be a grimlen with a box of paper clips in the back seat? lol. Sorry dude I wish I could help. this will at least kick the topic back up to the front of the class. Let us know if it is better yet! Tug :-D [addsig]

first.. thanks for the attention tug..
nest... I've been driving on it for a few days... it doesn't seem to be doing it all the time... only when I apply a lot of torque, if i drive it lightly (i hate that), then it seems ok... but when I start to torque it, she comes back. I'll have to find my a nice day and some time to get under it[addsig]

Back