Windshield leaking into defrost vents and down dash...

jerms14

I just got through installing a radio in the dash of my CJ5. So naturally, the first thing I had to do was see if I could hear the radio at 55-6500 RPMs in the mud. When I rinsed it off afterwards, water came pouring out the bottom of my dash and waterlogged my radio. Aftrer a couple of days, the radio did start working again, and I could hear it in the pit....lol. But, what I am wondering is if there is supposed to be some sort of gasket or seal between the windshield and the hood frame. I saw some screws and what appeared to be some sort of dry rotted out foam around those screws. This Jeep was pulled out of a field and had the motor rebuilt but everything else I am learning as I go. What is the part called so I can order a kit? Or what are some alternative fixes?

Thanks,

Jeremy

good luck bro!! every cj I have owned leaked down the dash and around doors, never could completely stop it. there is a cowl seal under your windshield, a seal under your cowl vent, and sometimes its a bad windshield gaskete. I have replaced all three and still leaked. Thats funny you mention a radio, I got one this summer and the day I got it went and washed it, radio never worked again, luckely I look it back to the store and they actually gave me a new one.. I seem to have had good luck with it by turning it off before I shut the jeep off so on restart if there is water on it, it wont get fried. So far so good.

Link wasn't working try this - click here.

Sounds like someone needs to come up with a little umbrella to mount in the dash above the radio. Or just use a marine unit.

uuhhh, you think, lol (just humor). man a marine unit would be awsome.. Mayb someday, they are so darn expensive compared to the others. but then again if you gota replace it once or twice, might as well shell out the dough up front and forget it.

My CJ7 leaked like a sieve until I replaced the seals and added a little silicone for good measure. I've been paranoid about dropping the windshields on any of my jeeps since that time. If you're going to do it, replace all of the seals like 69jeepcj did. The marine radio would be a wise investment. I had one in mine. The only reason I could get one at the time is due to the fact that I worked at a marina.

Thanks y'all. I'm pretty sure the cowl seal under the windsheild is where it coming in since the is nothing there at all!!!! Got one ordered. Will get a marine radio next time for sure.

I cut a piece of plastic(material similar to milk jug plastic) & formed it over the radio in my CJ5....works good so far. sorry no pictures...

Back